Following!

Comment

In for this one

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
          Lets see those LDP's!!

Comment

He’s supposed to have internet access tomorrow so letting him post the pics.

Comment

And they got video of the whole thing!

Comment

Newfie Moose and Black Bear Hunt This Week

Finally back to the motel in Deer Lake, what a hunt, couldn’t be happier.

Finally got a flight out around 4 PM.
                Got to camp and unloaded gear and food/water. Got settled into camp and talked guides, Matt and Donovan, into going out to take a hike and doing some glassing.

On the way up the mountain the guide I’m with, Matt, said he doesn’t know why they call it the Trophy camp, they haven’t seen any good moose yet…not a very good thing to hear on the first day of my hunt.

We got to the top of the hill/mountain, which wasn’t real fun climbing in rubber boots. We saw a group of moose, 6 or 7, in one area. They were feeding on something. So our plan is to head over to that area in the morning.

We saw several other moose and one bear.

Last edited by JES; 10-03-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Morning of first full day of hunting we left the cabin just before 7. We walked out of the cabins and Matt decided we would walk down the brook, bad idea. This was super hard because we could walk down the bed of the brook, ended up having to leave the water and go up the side of the mountain, which was near vertical, again, not cool in rubber boots.

The stuff that trips you up is Spruce Bough the locals call it Low Tuck…and it sucks.

We finally got off the mountain and needed to cross a river to get to the area we saw the moose the day before. This area had gotten a lot of rain on Sunday and the river was up, making it difficult to cross.

Here’s the river and my guide.

Comment

Finally got to the area we had seen all the moose the day before and didn’t see any. Move a little further and saw a big bull, 45” or better, and three cows. This is a great bull for Newfoundland and he was definitely a shooter. We watched them for a while and they all bedded down. They were in an area where there was no way to sneak up on them. So we went to go look back in the original area.

When we got there we saw a cow and a small bull, then could hear her calling, the small bull was harassing her and she was trying to get him to leave her alone.

We then saw a few more cows in some thick timber and then another good bull. In all we had two bulls and 9 cows all in one area. We were definitely in the right spot.

There are 11 moose in this picture.

Last edited by JES; 10-03-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

We talked about our plan and decided to go for the big bull. So we went back over to that area and they were gone, we finally spotted one cow and she was walking towards us, there was a lake below us and the guide thought they would be feeding along the lake.

I knocked an arrow and started to move towards the lake and came around some brush and there was the big bull from earlier and at least one of the cows. I moved up each time they had their heads down and the first time I ranged them the bull was 99 yards. I continued to move up and go to 88 yards and then finally 68 yards, well within my comfort zone.

I waited until the bull was broadside and stepped out from behind the bush I was hiding behind and drew. I settled the pin behind his shoulder and released and watched the slowest arrow ever make its way to the bull. The arrow found it’s mark in the crease behind the shoulder and was a complete pass through.

The bull took a few steps forward and stopped and you could see him coughing up blood and struggling to breath.

I knocked another arrow and drew back and anchored and that’s when he stumbled back and fell down, no need for a follow up shot!!! He got up one time and fell back down after a few seconds and that was it!!!

Big bull down @ 10:05 on the first morning!!!
                      68 yard shot, perfect hit!!!

48” wide with broken points, estimated 50” before broken.

The guide was able to get it all on video and if you zoom in you can see the arrow hit him. What a rush!!

This is a screen shot from the video, the white dot below is my lighted knock as the arrow is entering him.

Last edited by JES; 10-03-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Unbelievable…congratulations!

Thank you for taking us along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations John! That's an awesome Bull!! Beautiful country out there!

Comment

That’s awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X