Wood Burning Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Burning Stove

My wife and I will be building a barndo later this year and want to put in a wood burning stove. House will be 2000sqft total, the living room where the stove will be is 800sqft. I want something with a clear glass front and enough room on top to cook in my dutch oven on. Curious what yall have and what yall recommend? I looked at stoves online with small oven spaces below to cook in, but they sure are pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by BURTONboy; 09-06-2021, 05:55 PM.

I dont know how this ended up in game management. Mods if you could move this to around the campfire id sure appreciate it.

Comment

They make some with cooking tops but they too are pricey.
      We have an old Earth stove for heat, in our basement.
      The top of it is flat and could easily be use to set a dutch oven on to cook.
      Might look for one where the flue goes off the back instead of the top.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        They make some with cooking tops but they too are pricey.
        We have an old Earth stove for heat, in our basement.
        The top of it is flat and could easily be use to set a dutch oven on to cook.
        Might look for one where the flue goes off the back instead of the top.

I had not seen any where the flue is in the back vs on top, but I will look for some. Thanks

Comment

Invested in a LOPI steel wood burning stove for our first home and loved it. Very efficient and easy to regulate, it had a small flat that I could boil, cook different things on. Might check them out.

THE GREATEST WOOD BURNING OPTION EVER! Starting your wood stove has never been easier. Simply load your wood into the firebox, push the GreenStart™ button, and you’ll have a roaring fire within minutes! You can also use the GreenStart™ Igniter

Rwc

Comment

When we remodeled our home, we went with a vermont castings defiant model. It heat up the living area quickly and you can use the top for cooking.

The Defiant provides more than heat: it’s a skillfully crafted, timeless piece of furniture.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any stove with a flat area on top will work for cooking I believe. The back flue just gives you more area to use.
              Our old Earth Stove has a big area on top and a top flue.
              Prices will be whatever you want to spend, some get way up there but have very energy efficient features.
              The simple, old style box stoves work well too. Our tent stove is much like a box style stove and we cook on it every year at elk camp. You might find one with a glass window in the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                When we remodeled our home, we went with a vermont castings defiant model. It heat up the living area quickly and you can use the top for cooking.

The Defiant provides more than heat: it’s a skillfully crafted, timeless piece of furniture.

I was looking at Vermont, but they are pricey. Do you notice anything better about them? Or why did yall go that route?

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                  Invested in a LOPI steel wood burning stove for our first home and loved it. Very efficient and easy to regulate, it had a small flat that I could boil, cook different things on. Might check them out.

THE GREATEST WOOD BURNING OPTION EVER! Starting your wood stove has never been easier. Simply load your wood into the firebox, push the GreenStart™ button, and you’ll have a roaring fire within minutes! You can also use the GreenStart™ Igniter

Rwc

Did you order your stove, or buy in store? If in store, where at? I wouldnt mind seeing those in person.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    Any stove with a flat area on top will work for cooking I believe. The back flue just gives you more area to use.
                    Our old Earth Stove has a big area on top and a top flue.
                    Prices will be whatever you want to spend, some get way up there but have very energy efficient features.
                    The simple, old style box stoves work well too. Our tent stove is much like a box style stove and we cook on it every year at elk camp. You might find one with a glass window in the door.

I guess the Earth Stoves are older from what I gather in my research?

Looking for a nice looking stove. Cooking comes third to functionality and looks.

Comment

QuadraFire, Vermont Castings, Hearth Stone all make nice ones.

Earth Stoves went out when Lennox bought them out.
                      The newer ones are more efficient burners and nicer looking than our old stove for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                        Did you order your stove, or buy in store? If in store, where at? I wouldnt mind seeing those in person.

Bought it out of a store in the Cameron area, the name of the store was Denio's Furniture, was small place right off the main highway.

Rwc
                        Last edited by Rwc; 09-08-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Georgetown Fireplace and Patio off N I35 frontage carrys a bunch of brands and has displays. I think Lopi is among them.

Comment

Thanks. I can drive thru both Cameron and Georgetown on my way to San Saba depending on my route. So I will check those stores out.

Anymore stores in the central, to east central, Texas area I need to look at? Houston to San Saba is pretty much my area of travel monthly.

Comment

I was looking at Vermont, but they are pricey. Do you notice anything better about them? Or why did yall go that route?

We looked at several brands and models and picked Vermont casting based on looks and reviews. We wanted a nice wood burning stove that would be a focal point to our living room. Everyone who comes into the house asks about the wood burning stove.

Comment

Working...
                              X