Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper shell questions

I’m thinking of picking one up for my 2016 f250 short bed

I know there are different designs for different functions but any suggestions when it comes to brand?
    I’m just looking to add dry storage space for road trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Following, I have a 2018 Ram that I'm considering the same thing. But know nothing about them quality wise.

Comment

Leer and snugfit are some good brands. I like having slide windows and inside lights too.
      It seems that whatever you buy, get what you want to use because come truck resale time I dont think having a shell makes the value go up or the truck easier to sell. Just because not all potential buyers want them.

Also, I dont keep it one the truck all year, so I have a rope/ pulley system in the garage to lift it off and keep it stored above the truck inside. (great investment)

Also, if you dont want a new one, look around in wrecking yards for your truck, you can really save a ton of money by getting one off a wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
        Leer and snugfit are some good brands. I like having slide windows and inside lights too.
        It seems that whatever you buy, get what you want to use because come truck resale time I dont think having a shell makes the value go up or the truck easier to sell. Just because not all potential buyers want them.

Also, I dont keep it one the truck all year, so I have a rope/ pulley system in the garage to lift it off and keep it stored above the truck inside. (great investment)

Also, if you dont want a new one, look around in wrecking yards for your truck, you can really save a ton of money by getting one off a wreck.

I definitely want lighting options and maybe some storage options but my plan would be to not have it on year around, I’d likely set up a similar pulley system as you described

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

plenty out there too

Comment

My cap dealer quit carrying Leer because he had so many quality issues and lack of service with them.

But I had an ARE Z-Series on my 2019 F250 longbed and I loved it. Suggest getting the OEM key fob locking feature, the drop down front window for cleaning, all lighting options are great ideas, and I actually used the clothes hanger bar quite a bit. I also added the 12v power outlet options but never used them.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

ARE is top notch. Thats what will go on my new truck

Comment

that depends if you want fiberglass or Aluminum, Snugtop,Leer and ARE make good tops but if you gonna use it for just for storage I would go Aluminum.. ARE would be my option

Comment

There is a truck accessories shop in Ardmore Ok that sells a brand I think is called Echo(not sure)that sells new for about $1400 and that includes color coded matching paint for your truck. Was looking at them last year but that is a long drive for me.

Comment

Mine has a tip down front window that makes it easy to clean the glass. Side windows that open up (windoors) are nice too. You can get stuff in/out without crawling in the bed.

Comment

We have Leer topper with no issues but they are older.
                      Get the carpeted headliner to cut down on condensation if you sleep in it.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        We have Leer topper with no issues but they are older.
                        Get the carpeted headliner to cut down on condensation if you sleep in it.
                        Slick tip

Comment

My last two trucks wore LEER tops and the only trouble I ever had was with the lift arms on the back door. Both got week within a couple years and I had to replace them. It wasn’t expensive or hard so I’d still get a LEER if I were getting another. By all means get the carpet like finish on the inside.

Comment

I have an ARE on my 2016 Ram 1500. It’s been really handy. We are talking about getting my wife an new SUV around spring 2022 and when we do I’ll ditch it and go to a bed cover. I like it for keeping out dogs and bags in when traveling, but if we get her an Expedition Max then we can just use that for that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Leer has been great. So awesome for long hunting trips out of state.

Comment

Working...
                              X