LRGV Teniente 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV Teniente 2020

Haven’t seen a thread for this so here goes.

Any other tbhers get drawn for this hunt?

My sons and I will be there for the December hunt.. anyone have any words of wisdom on what to bring, where to stay, etc?

How does it compare with Laguna archery?

Thanks!

Doesn’t come close to Laguna in awesomeness. But it is just as hard. Crazy thick brush all over pretty much. Only the lake flats were open areas and a couple Senderos that had been cut when I hunted there two season ago. Stay in Raymondville, only a 15-20 minute drive. A bike is pretty useless there unless you hunt on the west side off only bikeable road. Prepare to sit all day for sure. I saw 15-20 nilgai total and about a dozen whitetail. Killed a small 3pt on the 2nd to last day doing some spot and stalk hunting on the east side near the hunt area border. Lot of luck involved in killing that deer for sure. No cleaning station or check in, kill something, field dress, quarter and pack out to the road.

And by all means make sure, yo I don’t have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.

Comment

It’s a fun but challenging hunt and like mentioned above very thick. I hunted a few days and saw several wt does, 1 giant Nilgai bull but no shot and several cows which I blew 2 different stalks on.

[/QUOTEAnd by all means make sure, yo I don’t have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.[/QUOTE]

Yep I made the stupid mistake and $375 dollars later I learned that the federal game warden I was lucky enough to meet fit the stereotype...

Comment

Well nobody responded to my thread in the beginning of Sept. Ill be there Dec 10th-13th archery. Looking forward to it. When are your drawn?

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
          It’s a fun but challenging hunt and like mentioned above very thick. I hunted a few days and saw several wt does, 1 giant Nilgai bull but no shot and several cows which I blew 2 different stalks on.

[/QUOTEAnd by all means make sure, yo I don’t have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.
          Yep I made the stupid mistake and $375 dollars later I learned that the federal game warden I was lucky enough to meet fit the stereotype...[/QUOTE]

I remember when that happened. I believe it was the same hunt as to when I was there.
          When I was cleaning my little buck, I had a huge dark black/blue bull come walking in on me about 60-70 yards away. Knew it happen so I had my bow ready to go but he saw me before I saw him. Probably one is the biggest bulls I’ve seen between there and Laguna.

Comment

December 17 - 20. Received intel that county roads are drop off points for illegal aliens as they walk north in the brush until they get north of the checkpoint on 77. Long trek for sure but the foot traffic can either stir some animals or they can mess it up for you if you are at full draw on a nilgai or a good WT. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              Doesn’t come close to Laguna in awesomeness. But it is just as hard. Crazy thick brush all over pretty much. Only the lake flats were open areas and a couple Senderos that had been cut when I hunted there two season ago. Stay in Raymondville, only a 15-20 minute drive. A bike is pretty useless there unless you hunt on the west side off only bikeable road. Prepare to sit all day for sure. I saw 15-20 nilgai total and about a dozen whitetail. Killed a small 3pt on the 2nd to last day doing some spot and stalk hunting on the east side near the hunt area border. Lot of luck involved in killing that deer for sure. No cleaning station or check in, kill something, field dress, quarter and pack out to the road.

And by all means make sure, yo I don’t have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.
              10-4 sounds like a good number of animals but the brush will be tough

I hate the hardass federale bit, will be careful about that, thanks for heads up

I’m assuming the bikeable road is county line rd, but based on the satellite it looks like Rowland and others are ok on a bike too. Not so?

Good job on the kill!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
                Well nobody responded to my thread in the beginning of Sept. Ill be there Dec 10th-13th archery. Looking forward to it. When are your drawn?
                Same one, hope to meet you down there!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                  10-4 sounds like a good number of animals but the brush will be tough

I hate the hardass federale bit, will be careful about that, thanks for heads up

I’m assuming the bikeable road is county line rd, but based on the satellite it looks like Rowland and others are ok on a bike too. Not so?

Good job on the kill!
                  No county line is a main road to drive your truck on. CR 30, Scale rd and county line are all the main roads to drive on with CR 3750 being the end of the hunting grounds. The bikeable road I was referring to is off county line though. Big gate with a limestone/caliche road that leads up to a big tank that had water in it. You can see it in the map pretty easy

Def a good number of animals but you gotta be looking hard for them. I saw tons of good signs throughout the entire hunt area.

Comment

Ok got it... we’ll bring bikes. Thanks again.

Comment

Imo a bike is not needed as most of the place is walkable. I hunted there two years ago with tx_chicken and found a great spot that was a half mile walk in. You would be hard pressed to find a place that is a farther walk than that thanks to the county roads running thru and around it.

Comment

I hunted last year. Wouldnt bother w a bike imo. Unless you just think a .5-1 mile hike is overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes less than that can be overwhelming lol
                          Ok I get it now the roads are drivable with a truck so the place gets a lot smaller. I guess that’s one nice thing about Laguna

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            “... a bike is not needed... You would be hard pressed to find a place that is a farther walk than that thanks to the county roads running thru and around it.
                            That’s right. Aside from the “ladder shaped” county dirt roads, everything else will be high grass. Pedaling in high grass will be challenging. Easier to park and walk it in. They have walk in lanes that may have been mowed recently. But still matted grass from a recent mow will make it difficult to pedal a bike. A bike will probably be more “in the way” than a benefit. It’s not like Laguna where you have to hike/bike miles to get to your spot. There are some bruiser bucks in there. Good luck!

Comment

This is a couple of county roads over from Teniente on Brushline Rd. Mid December last year around rut time. My brother was patrolling the area and said this guy just stared at him foe a while and walked away without much fanfare. County roads on Teniente are similar and not much farther from where this pic was taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X