No announcement yet.

Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went and looked at it today. The water by Schumann’s beach is about 100 yards wide versus the 400+ yards wide before the dam failure. The flow was really good. Looks like the original river channel is where the water is. Same down by the dam. I could see where after the lake bed dries out this could be a good 7 mile float trip. Folks need to rebuild/engineer there waterfront but it could still be usable recreational property until the dam is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      With average flow, how wide will the river be through the old lake bed?

This is at the dam

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        Not really. They will still tax it as riverfront property. On top of that there are not that many houses on that lake. It's a bad situation for those owning property. I see lawsuits coming against the entities at fault. They will not rebuild that lake.
        Not the way it works. They’re goi g to get sued and lose if they try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          Not the way it works. They’re goi g to get sued and lose if they try that.
          Why would it not work that way? I am not saying they will be taxed the same I'm just saying they will still be assessed for being riverfront as they will now have river front property. Doesn't matter what they try, there are not enough rooftops to make a difference tax wise. The dam cost too much to fix. They dont give discounts on lake travis or any other lake that drops significantly during droughts.

Comment

Hate to hear... I was just there for the first time recently and thought about looking for a place...reminded me of a redneck lake Austin ...I wonder if most the big fish went down river or hunkered down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
              If anyone’s looking for a nice home in New Braunfels, mines about to hit the market. Custom home on .54 acres. ~2700 sq ft.

NOT on the lake but does have lake/river access

[emoji4]
              Are you really?

Comment

One of my buddies took some drone footage of it. It’s pretty bad.....

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Are you really?

Yup. We had planned on selling anyway, was just waiting for school to get out

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                    Yup. We had planned on selling anyway, was just waiting for school to get out

Dang, you have a nice place there bud. Well I guess no better time than now for sure. GLWS

Comment

Seguin paper this morning had a headline that said "$15-$35 million" to repair it

Comment

More drone footage:
                        [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiElHUzg_xk"]Lake Dunlap Dam ***FAILURE*** Aftermath (Aerial View) - YouTube[/ame]

It will be interesting to see over the next few years how nature reclaims all the seemingly sterile mud flats that were once lake bed. My guess is it will be completely overgrown by this time next year. The river channel will probably change as well

Comment

On the tax issue, when we were flooded on Placid in ‘98, our assessed value went down based on the flood damage to the house , loss of dock and boathouse, etc. Got a 1-yr cut in taxes but as soon as repairs were made, went right back up the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            More drone footage:
                            Lake Dunlap Dam ***FAILURE*** Aftermath (Aerial View) - YouTube

It will be interesting to see over the next few years how nature reclaims all the seemingly sterile mud flats that were once lake bed. My guess is it will be completely overgrown by this time next year. The river channel will probably change as well
                            Look up photos of Lake Wood in Gonzales, TX where they experienced the same dam/gate failure 3YRS ago... Trees, Weeds, Grass all now fill the area where we once enjoyed skiing, fishing and boating. This is GBRA also... No money, No fix, no worries... Feel bad for the lake front property owners.

Comment

Two failed dams controlled by the same river authority? No money or commitment to fix them? I sure would be nervous if I had a home on any other lakes in this system. Might just be time to sell if I did.

This is an awful situation for those people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                                Two failed dams controlled by the same river authority? No money or commitment to fix them? I sure would be nervous if I had a home on any other lakes in this system. Might just be time to sell if I did.

This is an awful situation for those people.
                                A lot of the dams in this country are old and in need of repairs. Those dams were cheaper to build back then than they would be today. A lot of smaller old dams are being removed as it is less expensive than trying to maintain or repair them.
                                Definitely a bad deal for the folks with lake property

Comment

Working...
                                X