X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MenardCountyBow View Post
    Same here
    We called in 4 this weekend in goliad.
    But once they hit the ground, most were quiet.
    Killed one at daylight. One at midday and two in the afternoon.

Had a bobcat attack our decoy at 15 yards.

Fun trip. Called in a coyote and killed a bunch of pigs.

Reminded me why I enjoy spring turkey hunting in Texas.

BP

Comment

I set out two raccoon traps last trip and we caught two big raccoons and one opossum. I agree that it would be much easier to trap these critters if we lived out there but I figured that if we do it every time we are out there that it would be better than nothing. I got enough raccoon traps to set two at each feeder so i hope we can start to make a dent in them. We used dog food last time for the raccoons but I read that catfish food works well so we will try it as well.

We have still yet to see any pigs on our property, which we have had since late 2011. I know they are out there because some guys within 5 miles as the crow flies kill 100's of them each year.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        I set out two raccoon traps last trip and we caught two big raccoons and one opossum. I agree that it would be much easier to trap these critters if we lived out there but I figured that if we do it every time we are out there that it would be better than nothing. I got enough raccoon traps to set two at each feeder so i hope we can start to make a dent in them. We used dog food last time for the raccoons but I read that catfish food works well so we will try it as well.

We have still yet to see any pigs on our property, which we have had since late 2011. I know they are out there because some guys within 5 miles as the crow flies kill 100's of them each year.
        The hog thing is very baffling to me as well. I have hunted the same place over 20 years and have never seen a hog, which honestly, I am very happy about😁

I have some Dukes traps for the coons and I need to get back in the habit of setting them when I go at night. We use marshmallows.

Comment

4/10/2019 Update

We got a new deer blind installed today:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5164 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	24576162

Name:	IMG_4149 (Large).jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	24576163

Views from the blind:

Name:	IMG_5158 (Large).jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24576164

Name:	IMG_5159 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	24576165

Name:	IMG_5160 (Large).jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24576166

Name:	IMG_5161 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	24576167

Comment

Lord have mercy that’s a blind!!

Comment

4/11/2019 Update

Here is another picture of the 3.5 acre wheat/oat field. We are going to let it go to seed and provide some fawning/nesting cover. We are hoping it will keep the soil temperatures cooler and improve the organic matter. We are also hoping we can shred in late August and use it as a dove field come September.

Name:	IMG_5173 (Large).jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	24576262

Here are some pictures of the high fence progress:

Name:	IMG_5175 (Large).jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	24576263

Name:	IMG_4180 (Large).jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	24576264

Name:	IMG_5171 (Large).jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	24576265

Comment

Looking good! Nice blind

Comment

That has to be the nicest blind I have seen in a while, looking great!

Comment

Excited for you. That fence is going to be a great management tool. Also fun to be able to put in anything else you guys want to hunt. Looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like your place a lot and I think that may be the new Menard County Motel you have there!!!

Comment

I just saw your thread a few days ago, and it has been amazing to read the entire thing. Thanks for being so willing to share your family's story as you have tried to make it into a great ranch. I've learned a lot just from reading your story. I'm definitely envious of what you've done and what you are doing. You have some great deer on a beautiful place. Keep up the amazing effort, and I look forward to continue to read.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDavis View Post
                          I just saw your thread a few days ago, and it has been amazing to read the entire thing. Thanks for being so willing to share your family's story as you have tried to make it into a great ranch. I've learned a lot just from reading your story. I'm definitely envious of what you've done and what you are doing. You have some great deer on a beautiful place. Keep up the amazing effort, and I look forward to continue to read.
                          Thanks for the kind words! We are trying our best to improve the overall deer herd and we really wish we didn’t have to high fence our place but it’s the only way to let these bucks get to 6.5/7.5yrs old and also keep the deer numbers down to improve quality native habitat.
                          Last edited by bgleaton; 04-18-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

We got another 0.5in of rain last night. That’s 1in total over the past week. We are at 3.5in for the year.

Comment

Gates Installed

Here are two of the gates they recently installed. We are having them modify the gates to make them burglar proof by welding one hinge up and one hinge down to ensure the gates cannot be removed. Also, we have asked them to make the gates so there is only an inch or two of gap between the fence post and gate to ensure nothing can get through.

Name:	Front Gate (Large).jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	24576667

Name:	Middle Gate (Large).jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	24576668

Does anyone know of a metal worker that can help us make a sign for our front gate? My brothers and I were thinking of getting something made for our parents and have it installed. We need someone that's pretty creative and were thinking of having a deer and possibly other wildlife (i.e. turkey) on it as well as the ranch name - Gleaton Chip Ranch. Please let me know if you guys know of anyone that can do this and about how much this costs. I appreciate your time and help!

Comment

I know y’all are gonna love seeing some more mature now

For thirty -five years I have given up seeing an old buck in Leon county!

PM on metal sign guy

Big pig

Comment

Working...
                                X