Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranch Cabin Build

I have been meaning to share this build with you all for some time now. It all started in March 2017. I found a small track of land in west of Rocksprings, with everything I wanted. It is Rugged, but easy to access. End of the Road and I found the perfect building site with some amazing views and cell phone coverage in case of emergencies.

In March I made a down payment, and in Aug 2017 I closed on the deal (it had to have the plat drawn up etc.)

Between March and August I filled the existing feeder that conveyed with the property and setup a game camera. I saw turkey, hogs and whitetail deer galore. So i was happy with my decision even before the purchase went through.

The 2017 deer season I took off because I wanted to spend the time on the cabin. I decided to make it a 16X24 cabin, with a 8X24 deck and External Bathroom/shower house. There is no water or electricity on the site, but that is really what I wanted. I have experience setting up Solar power systems and already had most of the things needed to set it up. As for water I am going with a water catchment system (there is a water well in the subdivision as back in times of drought and a filling station in Rocksprings in case that well runs dry) The water catchment system would only be used for bathing. For the Bathroom I plan on a composting toilet, but that could change depending on how it works, May end up with a above ground septic if the composting toilet doesn't work as planned.

So in September 2017 we broke ground. First up was building a road and a parking area off the SD road in.
    Attached Files

Congrats on the land purchase. Looking forward to the progress pictures.

Comment

IN...congrats on the land and future memories made!

Comment

What subdivision did you buy in?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          Congrats on the land purchase. Looking forward to the progress pictures.
          Thank you Stolle!

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          IN...congrats on the land and future memories made!
          Thank you RascalArms!

It is not much but its a start.

The Build is talking much longer than I ever thought, changes in plans, a death in the family, and my best friend who has been helping me has come down with a strange illness that keeps him from being to do as much as he wants. But here we are. One thing that you do find out is who is really there for you. I have tons of friends that want to come the ranch to hang out/hunt but not a one has helped with getting it built. But that is how these things go I guess. I have always been the type to help along with my best friend. But it seems they don't make many like us anymore.

I will post more of the progress later today.

Comment

Looks like a beautiful place.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
              What subdivision did you buy in?
              Buffalo Draw

Comment

CONGRATS!! nothing like your own place!

Comment

Congratulations on owning your own piece of Texas. Wait till hunting season your phone will be ringing all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    CONGRATS!! nothing like your own place!

True But it is a lot of hard work. It will all be worth it though in a few years!

Comment

When I was looking for a property I wanted to find an area that had a good view to build a cabin. I wanted to make sure I had good southern exposure to the roof-line for Solar Panel placement on the roof. I found a great spot with good Northern Views out the Front of the Cabin (Pic1) and the the East (Pic 2)

We cleared out the area, it was not very level, but that's ok. The front of the cabin will have a large deck on it, which would be a great place to place Water Storage tank(s) underneath when I install the water catchment. I believe that the elevations change from 6" off the ground at the back of the cabin to 6-7 feet off the ground in the front. Its 24' front to back.

I decided that a concrete foundation would be WAY to expensive. Pier and beam was the way to go. I considered using Cedar Posts and Beams, but I want this cabin to last a very long time. I decided to use Steel instead of wood for all of the framing, making it last longer that I will. I choose 3" square tubing for the pier and the main beams with 2" runners. I also place 1.5" angle Iron across the bottom of the runners for added strength and 1.5" square tubing for angled gussets from the mail beams to the piers (not in these pictures) but you will see them later on in the build.

I had NO experience welding but my best friend Andy did so we just decided to get after it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

In! How many acres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is gonna be good!

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                            Thank you Stolle!

Thank you RascalArms!

It is not much but its a start.

The Build is talking much longer than I ever thought, changes in plans, a death in the family, and my best friend who has been helping me has come down with a strange illness that keeps him from being to do as much as he wants. But here we are. One thing that you do find out is who is really there for you. I have tons of friends that want to come the ranch to hang out/hunt but not a one has helped with getting it built. But that is how these things go I guess. I have always been the type to help along with my best friend. But it seems they don't make many like us anymore.

I will post more of the progress later today.
                            Nope few an far between, but congrats on the land!!

Comment

In. Looks like a lot of work

Comment

Working...
                              X