No announcement yet.

I need help with 2nd grade math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they are teaching how to answer the question instead of teaching an understanding of mathematics. My 9th grade son has to use his fingers and write stuff down to answer simple questions like 22+14 and still doesn't know multiplication tables....and he is in advanced math.

Not sure how he will ever be able to handle integral or derivative tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      I had to google everything when my granddaughter was in grade school. I use everything from addition and subtraction up to trig every day at work. I couldn't do grade school math.
      Same here My wife teaches 4th grade so I just wait until she gets home to help my boys with their math. They try to explain it to me and it just seems pointless to go through all those extra steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        You were trained to do this your mind just does it automatically.
        Not me, I use my fingers.

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Only nobody wants to go to NY or Kali…..
        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
          I fail too looking at original post....NUTZ and I took all HS maths/alg/trig/calc and made Assssss
          We're you in the principals office a lot for making Assssss?[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by rolylane6; 09-15-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Complete idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
              The process is called decomposing numbers. It’s a pretty common way to teach math
              Common does not equate to efficiency. Luckily none of my kids did that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                In order to subtract 9 from 20, you first must understand how the 20 got there. Ah, two 10s. 10 take away 9 is 1. 1 plus 10 is 11. And that's how you get to the answer.
                Nope, it's there and that's all you need to know about it. Take the 9 away. 11 is there and no need to know why.

Comment

I guess I need to teach myself this common core method in order to help him.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I guess I need to teach myself this common core method in order to help him.
                    It's a shame but you're probably right.

Comment

Subtracting by dividing.

I need to stop my response right there, for fear of traveling down another rat-hole.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick2012 View Post
                        Subtracting by dividing.

I need to stop my response right there, for fear of traveling down another rat-hole.
                        And here all this time I was subtracting by subtracting. Well hell.

Comment

Throw this back on the teacher, and ask why she is cutting corners.
                          If she is going to teach it this way, then complete process.

As taught:
                          20-9=11
                          10-9=1
                          1+10=11 (check)

Ask her why it is not taught as such:
                          20-9=11
                          (1)10-9=1
                          (2)5-9=-4
                          (3)-4+5=1
                          (4)1+10=11(check)
                          This could technically go on and on forever, ask who decided where to draw the line.
                          It would be very easy to draw the line at (20), just like we all did. Who in the hell came up with this ****?
                          Old school (logical) math = Astronauts, Engineers, Accountants, Welders, pipefitters, etc...
                          New Age math = "I'm not sure if I'm a boy, or a Girl.

Comment

I just got dumber

Comment

This is why we have kids thinking they deserve 18 bucks for flipping burgers. they don't have a CLUE how numbers work.

Comment

I need help with 2nd grade math

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                                Throw this back on the teacher, and ask why she is cutting corners.
                                If she is going to teach it this way, then complete process.

As taught:
                                20-9=11
                                10-9=1
                                1+10=11 (check)

Ask her why it is not taught as such:
                                20-9=11
                                (1)10-9=1
                                (2)5-9=-4
                                (3)-4+5=1
                                (4)1+10=11(check)
                                This could technically go on and on forever, ask who decided where to draw the line.
                                It would be very easy to draw the line at (20), just like we all did. Who in the hell came up with this ****?
                                Old school (logical) math = Astronauts, Engineers, Accountants, Welders, pipefitters, etc...
                                New Age math = "I'm not sure if I'm a boy, or a Girl.

The teacher has to teach it the way they are told to teach it. I promise that most of them think it is as idiotic as we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X