No announcement yet.

Best meals ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandmother was the same way- no recipe ever period! She had a big big garden and you could go over to her house and she would have fresh black-eyed peas, cornbread, homegrown tomatoes pealed and cold in the fridge, skillet fried taters and cantaloupe good and cold! Man I can remember it like it was yesterday. I sure miss that woman! She has been gone for 11 years now and she was 94 when she passed. No way I could ever cook or bake like her and for that matter I wouldn’t even try. She was a legend to a lot of people as she fed many people who were less fortunate.

Comment

I swear my dad's mom, my Louisiana grandmother, could take any food and make a gourmet meal of it. I miss her and her cooking so much. She made the best home made louisiana style tamales.

My mother was a great cook as well. She could make anything. Holidays were pure greatness. Home made pumpkin and sweet potato pies, lemon pie, fudge, on and on. She made the best potato salad i've ever had.

She handed down recipes to all her daughters in law. The girls and us boys have done our best to replicate many of the dishes over the years. My wife and i get reasonably close on the potato salad and the chicken and dressing (turkey is too dry). I'm afraid the taste of the rest of it is gone forever.

Comment

My grandma would make something we called salt steak back in the day. She would take a filet loin and just coat it with salt and wrap in butcher paper and grill. She made a aujus type sauce that was incredible!!! It was my favorite meal every Easter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
          My grandma would make something we called salt steak back in the day. She would take a filet loin and just coat it with salt and wrap in butcher paper and grill. She made a aujus type sauce that was incredible!!! It was my favorite meal every Easter!

This sounds good [emoji1476]

Comment

My lovely wife is a knockout cook so I cant really think of anything special. BUT with that being said my grandmother used to make sweet buttery rice for breakfast when we were kids. This might be the most original dish I have ever had, and have tried to duplicate it one. I failed miserably and it was sad because I hyped it up so much to my family. None of my cousins can make it either, so it is lost to the world.

Of all the things she made, I guess I miss that the most.

Comment

Like a hand full on here I can't name just one meal or even just a few dishes. Both my grandmother and my mother were excellent cooks. Sadly they have both passed

We never really ate anything fancy, most meals were usually accompanied with a large stack of homemade flower tortillas, a side of beans and lots of fresh salsa. I could probably live a fat and happy life of fried boloney, beans, salsa and tortillas.
              Last edited by Pedernal; 07-05-2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X