TBH Lost A Legend Yesterday...Prayers Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    You dudes who are really struggling with this, know that you are not alone. I’ve been essentially worthless all week. My friend group that Matt endeared himself to so quickly, is a bunch of otherwise hardasses, and they’re a **** show too. I call it a testament to the man our brother was.

The first time I met Matt was at an early Bownanza. We had bantered back and forth on here, and argued about some stuff (probably music, bows, or something goofy), because Matt liked to argue about as much as I do. I was at the nanza having stayed up all night, just choked down a daylight tequila shot at Legdog’s insistence (as was custom when the pit was lit), and was nursing a D-Wayne Bloody Mary. I see a crew unload from a truck and come dragging a cooler in, looking collectively like death eatin a dry cracker. I recognized a couple guys but had no idea who was what. I noticed as they came across the parking lot that all were chugging gatorade and water...except one. That one had a baby blue in his hand, made eye contact with me, and immediately split off from the group toward me. He walked right up and said “you’re Moser, I’m Matt Patek, and we need to drink some beer!” And stuck out his paw. The handshake was not so much as over and another Lone Star Light appeared in his hand, which he opened and handed to me. It was all I could do to get the first drink down...40 minutes later we were 3 more beers in each, and I felt like I was talking to an old friend. It was surreal. We had a bunch more after that.

It wasn’t until probably 6 years later until we wound up on a common group text because of Jason Smart, months later we were at my deer lease skinning Abryn’s 1st doe, they moved to N. Texas, and it was over. We were at deer camp, we were downtown partying with the wives, we were at Rockport, and Crystal Beach with the families...All my friends were his friends, our dads were fishing buddies, my mom begged me to make them come to thanksgiving.

Almost nightly Rangers/Stros texts, what the kids are doing texts, we are so lucky to have awesome wives...texts, and endless youtube music texts. I still half expect one to roll in around 6:05 every night.

I can find no good in any of this, but it’s warmed my heart to read stories from so many on here that are so similar. How often does a man have to make a new friend, how does a man meet so many people who are so positively impacted by having met him, how many parties can a guy be the life of....and how many people can a man invite fishing...only a life cut short could stop him.

That is just who Matt was. He never had to fake it.

Having to tell my son, who absolutely adored Matt, about this, was easily the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. The sheer shock and pure sadness in his face as he broke down, only confirmed what we all know. All I could tell him was to appreciate the time we had, and pray for “the girls”. I’m still at a loss for what to tell him further, but he sees it in my face all week, and he knows..

My heart breaks for “my” girls, I’m miserable for what Steph will have to endure, I’m furious for what we will all miss out on, and I am at an absolute loss for what to say to our brother Weeaks...who has lost a huge part of his world! But mostly...I just miss my brother.

I catch myself expecting a text, or thinking about the trips we had planned for the kids, and it breaks my heart every time I remember..

I’ll always miss you Matteo. I will try to love your family like you did. I will try to be the friend that you were. I will fail at both, but I will try. I’ll see you when the time comes...and I will look forward to it until then.

I love you brother, we will do our best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Such a strong testimony to who Matt was to you and your family. Dale I’m very sorry y’all are having to go through this. God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Prayers for his family and friends.

Comment

Matt was a good one he was always in for a good time and had that infectious smile and love for life...I was around Moulton a lot when he was in high school as my wifes family is from there and got to know that family very well his father was one of a kind as well just good folks and both will be missed deeply...I pray for his girls and his wife they have been on my heart and mind for the last few days since hearing the tragic news...Life is so fragile and we are reminded of it daily it seems like lately but eternity is waiting and I know Matt and his dad Ervin will keep a watch over us and be waiting by the camp fire when our time to join them comes...

Rest in Peace Matt
        Billy G

Comment

Whoa........just seeing this thread! Prayers for some sort of healing for the family and friends touched by this man's presence. This tribute to Matt will inspire his girls for decades to come. They will KNOW that their dad was a very special man and affected more people than can be counted.

Comment

Prayers up and heartfelt condolences to all those who now must carry on without Matt.

Comment

Leaded Reds in DKR. Cheers buddy

Comment

Just saw this in my email alerts. Punch to the gut. Didnt know Matt near as well as some of you but knew him being close in age and somewhat local.
                Borrowed a dog training book from him. Met him at a local watering hole after work. To pick up a book. 4 hrs later...we both were getting heckled from our better halves. I was still laughing on the way home.
                Stand up dude that will sure enough be missed by many.
                Prayers to all, especially his family.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sad news. Prayers for his family and all his friends.

Comment

Heartbreaking news! Prayers sent for his family and friends!!!

Comment

I pray blessings of peace upon his beautiful family and all who loved this man!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                          Leaded Reds in DKR. Cheers buddy

Excellent tribute

Comment

Comment

So very sorry, prayers for the family.

Comment

TBH Lost A Legend Yesterday...Prayers Please

Over the last few days I’ve gone back through our text messages and some of the group text we were involved in. Most of our text were about ****** steaks, suppressors, and other artillery as well as all of the kids success in the field. Honestly... Felt good to look back over the last 6 years of banter, etc. He was truly one of a kind and Steph and those little girls, no doubt... were his world.

Comment

Working...
                                X