Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business Owners/Entrepreneurs Thread. Your story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1973, my dad started a construction company while working for the Houston Fire Dept. I was 6 months old. He left the FD to go full time when I was about 5 or so. I was always involved with summer jobs, weekend jobs, brake jobs, cylinder jobs, and lots and lots of shovel jobs. I left for A&M with him making me promise that I'd do something besides construction, but I knew that's all I wanted to do.

When I left college early, (he was soooo pizzed) I went to work for him and quickly realized that I just couldn't work for my dad. I was too immature and he was too demanding. I could work for him or we could have a great relationship, but not both. I left and went to work for a global pump and compressor company where I learned a lot about customer relations, employee relations and business in general. I did well there, but couldn't see myself working for someone else my whole life.

Three years later, it was 1998, I called my dad up one day and told him I wanted to come work "with" him. He said he couldn't afford to pay me what I was making. I told him to give me six months and he'd be able to pay me more than I'm making. I made it clear that I wasn't looking for a job, but a career that included a path to partnership. We agreed on terms that would let me earn 50% of the company over time. I'm assuming he thought it would be a long time, but it only took a few years. When I first came on, he had six employees, an old Case 580 backhoe, a DitchWitch trencher and old boring rig.... and he and mom lived a comfortable middle-income life.

Today, my Dad owns 2% of the company he started (my sister and I own the balance). We have 350+/- employees. We've spun off 8 other companies and sold four of those. My Dad still likes to work, so he manages a project or two in between cruises and vacations with my mom and their friends. He's an old construction hand and will probably drop dead on a job site, when he's in his 90s, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Starting and growing businesses excites me. I'm not afraid of measured risk and I've surrounded myself with people smarter than me. I've hired the best people I can find and I expected them to perform at a very high level. I've had growing pains, made bad decisions that cost money, hit home runs and I've struck out. I've bought other business and started and sold businesses and closed one down for lack of performance. I've had loans that would choke a mule and more than a few nervous bankers over the years, but we never considered anything beside paying what we owed...even when I once worried "how". I've learned lessons the hard way and made friends that I can't imagine life without. I've just never been afraid to fail, even when others doubted that I'd succeed. I've been broke as a joke and I've had money to spare and it's just never defined who I was. I love the competition. I love the challenge. I love the relationships and the camaraderie of business. Money is just a way to keep score.

I get a lot of credit for our growth, and my Dad would tell you (like he tells everyone else) that I'm responsible for it, but none of it would have ever been possible if my Dad didn't have the balls to hang out his own shingle, take his future into his own hands and decide to be his own boss. He gave me a good name, a good work ethic and most importantly he always believed in me...even when I'm sure he thought I'd lost my mind.

Funny this thread came up today....because I've recently had another idea baking.
    Last edited by curtintex; 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Opened Hunter's Hdqrs & Archery Range in 1989 in Lubbock and had a 40 yard indoor range with a video system in the waning years. sold it after 10 years to an employee. Went into remodeling and construction until I got screwed by my business partner.

I will tell you this, everyone thinks that if you own your own business no matter what it is, you are wealthy, can take off whenever you want and you cannot tell them different!

With an Archery shop, look at how many mail order catalogue are available for mailing or over the internet where folks can buy merchandise the same price you can BEFORE you can put it in our shop! This does not include the overhead for profit you have to install to make a living!

Been there and done that!

Some old folks on this site can attest to my shop as they were in it. I tired to keep quality and the latest merchandise and at the time the longest indoor range in TX!

BUT, it almost ruined me on the sport of archery and bowhunting!

Comment

I posted earlier about my 40 year journey. Seems to be a lot of interest in folks here who want to know about leaving a secure job and going out on their own.

For starters find something you are passionate about. Next be prepared to spend 60 plus hours a week in the early years. Must be willing to ask people for their business - if you are sincere and have a worthwhile product then nothing wrong with asking people to buy your product. If you are not wiling to do so then don't go into business for yourself.

The early years are tough but if you survive then the rewards will come. You live one life so if you really want to be independent and accumulate wealth then it takes balls to go out on your own. Not for the faint of heart.

Comment

My hat is off to you guys....I'd love to have the stones to say screw it and walk away from the security of my LE job and rely on myself to get by. I can't really say I had it easy but we have made good decisions and I have done fairly well working for the man. I enjoy the security of getting a paycheck every couple weeks and someone else paying for our medical insurance.

We recently started a small business and it's making money but is no where near enough to support the daughter's education fund let alone try to feed one or both of us. Maybe someday.

Comment

Just starting out, and growing pretty quick, buy and hold real estate, and small developments. If things keep going the way they are, ill be fulltime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              In 1973, my dad started a construction company while working for the Houston Fire Dept. I was 6 months old. He left the FD to go full time when I was about 5 or so. I was always involved with summer jobs, weekend jobs, brake jobs, cylinder jobs, and lots and lots of shovel jobs. I left for A&M with him making me promise that I'd do something besides construction, but I knew that's all I wanted to do.

When I left college early, (he was soooo pizzed) I went to work for him and quickly realized that I just couldn't work for my dad. I was too immature and he was too demanding. I could work for him or we could have a great relationship, but not both. I left and went to work for a global pump and compressor company where I learned a lot about customer relations, employee relations and business in general. I did well there, but couldn't see myself working for someone else my whole life.

Three years later, it was 1998, I called my dad up one day and told him I wanted to come work "with" him. He said he couldn't afford to pay me what I was making. I told him to give me six months and he'd be able to pay me more than I'm making. I made it clear that I wasn't looking for a job, but a career that included a path to partnership. We agreed on terms that would let me earn 50% of the company over time. I'm assuming he thought it would be a long time, but it only took a few years. When I first came on, he had six employees, an old Case 580 backhoe, a DitchWitch trencher and old boring rig.... and he and mom lived a comfortable middle-income life.

Today, my Dad owns 2% of the company he started (my sister and I own the balance). We have 350+/- employees. We've spun off 8 other companies and sold four of those. My Dad still likes to work, so he manages a project or two in between cruises and vacations with my mom and their friends. He's an old construction hand and will probably drop dead on a job site, when he's in his 90s, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Starting and growing businesses excites me. I'm not afraid of measured risk and I've surrounded myself with people smarter than me. I've hired the best people I can find and I expected them to perform at a very high level. I've had growing pains, made bad decisions that cost money, hit home runs and I've struck out. I've bought other business and started and sold businesses and closed one down for lack of performance. I've had loans that would choke a mule and more than a few nervous bankers over the years, but we never considered anything beside paying what we owed...even when I once worried "how". I've learned lessons the hard way and made friends that I can't imagine life without. I've just never been afraid to fail, even when others doubted that I'd succeed. I've been broke as a joke and I've had money to spare and it's just never defined who I was. I love the competition. I love the challenge. I love the relationships and the camaraderie of business. Money is just a way to keep score.

I get a lot of credit for our growth, and my Dad would tell you (like he tells everyone else) that I'm responsible for it, but none of it would have ever been possible if my Dad didn't have the balls to hang out his own shingle, take his future into his own hands and decide to be his own boss. He gave me a good name, a good work ethic and most importantly he always believed in me...even when I'm sure he thought I'd lost my mind.

Funny this thread came up today....because I've recently had another idea baking.
              I enjoyed reading this. I hope I can have a fraction of the success that you have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                I enjoyed reading this. I hope I can have a fraction of the success that you have had.
                I've had plenty of failures too, and you have to be able to weather those. Take the blame for the failures and give credit to others for the successes. In my case, our success is a blessing from God. He's responsible for all of it.

Comment

Great thread. If I had the capital I would love to own a business manufacturing deer blinds (rotomolded) & sell to all you guys. I have the technical know how I just can’t seem to find the capital
                  Other than that, I plan to semi-retire & contract myself either as a ISO auditor in chemicals/plastics or maybe a consultant

Comment

I’m kinda crazy. I enjoy building things and tires. It’s a weird combination. Finally went out on a limb and set up my llc last year and made it official. I still have kept the security of a full time job teaching but have moved positions to allow more time for my business to grow. I pretty much work everyday of the week building Metal Buildings, tire sales/installs, trailer repair, shop fabrication and selling trailer parts out of a shop at the house. I started to get real busy lately and nervous about taking the leap of faith since I was raised to stick with security. It’s hard to fit everything in but I enjoy the work and making customers happy. Goal is to keep it a 3-4 employee business as others have stated. Big hurdle for me now is getting insurance since it is a mixture of business. I hope within the next couple of years I can put the teaching gig to the side and go full time.

Comment

Great stuff here, I appreciate it! I am experiencing much of what has been stated here. A few things I would like to ask.

Employee issues are a recurring theme here, as I expected, how/where is the balance? Or is there? Some have said they only want 3-4 but is that enough for you to just run the business and let them handle the work? Or at that number will you still have to labor with them? ( run the dozer, run the saw.or whatever ).

Did you hire your 2nd, 3rd etc after being so busy you couldnt keep up, or hire them then find the work to keep them busy?

Do you feel like you need to be a "people person" to be successful in business ( specifically a business that is skilled labor-of course you do in sales etc )?

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        Great stuff here, I appreciate it! I am experiencing much of what has been stated here. A few things I would like to ask.

Employee issues are a recurring theme here, as I expected, how/where is the balance? Or is there? Some have said they only want 3-4 but is that enough for you to just run the business and let them handle the work? Or at that number will you still have to labor with them? ( run the dozer, run the saw.or whatever ).

Did you hire your 2nd, 3rd etc after being so busy you couldnt keep up, or hire them then find the work to keep them busy?

Do you feel like you need to be a "people person" to be successful in business ( specifically a business that is skilled labor-of course you do in sales etc )?

Your gonna have to be a people person because you are representing your company and product. People will remember your for being a world class dik or a super nice guy that follows thru. Look at how many threads there is about Viking Archery on here.

BUT dont be afraid to fire a customer either, I have had to learn that the hard and expensive way. You are in business to make money, there is no time to deal with that guy who beats you up over price and is blowing your phone up whining. More than likely those types are slow payers or no payers. I aint got time for "No Pay Jose", I have no problem walking away and letting that "guy" bankrupt my competition.

I was also guilty of trying to help out a customer that I felt sorry for, I wasted a lot of money with the "down and out guys". Sometimes you just gotta walk away.

When I first started up I wanted every one's business and would do whatever I had to do to get it. Over the years I realized how much money I lost with that mentality and started weeding out companies and people. I deal with a lot of people every week, I still get frustrated at times.

Comment

Impressive stories from you guys that took the leap of owning your company and being your own bosses! I have been in coaching for 35 years. Would like to retire buy a skid steer, small dump truck and trailer. Do small jobs like make driveways and such for folks. Would have to learn some skills.Just enjoy that kinda stuff. It's hard to get out of your own ruts and old habits. Yall are right about kids and pets. I have told my wife and oldest daughter they need to write kids books for years now. My youngest does dog sitting at her house two weekends a month as a second job and makes good money.

Comment

My story

I guess you could say I got into this due to hunting. Four years ago both my sons harvested their first bucks. I wanted to do something special with the euros so I started searching and found a hydrographics page and purchased a kit to dip the skulls. After a couple of failed attempts we had some success and I really liked how cool the process was. I set myself up with homemade equipment and started doing it as a hobby. I have been a production manager for a very big paint manufacture for the past 17 years and we received notice over a year ago that the plant would be closing at the end of May 2019. In April I had posted a picture of a football helmet that I had dipped on a hydrographic forum page and was contacted by a guy to do a few helmets for him. That led to several other memorabilia collectors wanting work done including a very big dealer in Texas wanting more than 50 helmets a month. They get the helmets autographed by current and past NFL players and then resell the helmets. We formed an LLC early this month, got my fed tax number and set up a business account. We were fortunate that I was able to retire from the paint company and have our medical insurance come out of my pension and the severance package more than paid off every debit we had. I'm not making a killing but at 60 years old we will make enough to easily pay the bills to run our household and then some until I can hopefully retire at 65. Plus it's nice to be able to walk to my shop next to the house to work. I'm still very nervous about running my own business. Meeting with a CPA next week. Wish us luck! Here's a picture of one of our creations! Signed by DeAndre Hopkins.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Keep your overhead low, pay your taxes, don't burn any bridges, and work harder that everyone else. You will succeed.

Comment

I worked for my dads drilling company as a rig welder and when the oil bust of 08 happened it took our business out. Had 13 drilling rigs and around 400 employees. At that time I Made friends with the equipment rental manager at Rsc next door and he said I should start contract hauling equipment. So, I bought a beater truck and have been doing it ever since.
                                Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Last edited by boh347; 07-13-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X