No announcement yet.

Mosquitos Drain On Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My memory may not be too good, but i believe that back in the late 70s or early 80s a tropical storm came in on the lower Laguna Madre and caused a mosquito hatch so bad they choked cattle to death by restricting the breathing room, much less anemic conditions from bloodloss.

Comment

At times the mosquitoes in the Everglades were so bad that the deer alternately walked and ran some, all day long. They would run through the lighter 4-6' tall sawgrass to get the mosquitoes off of them for a minute or two. The water wasn't deep enough to cover them if they tried to lay down in it.

And, yes the mosquitoes would suffocate cattle when they were the thickest.

It is definitely a big stressor on deer when mosquitoes are thick. Always, felt bad for the deer when the mosquito population would spike upwards.

We bundled up in layers as, one mosquito species there can easily bite through jeans.

Comment

Eff all that. I would jump in the river if I were them deers.

Comment

I would think eventually all those bites on the deer his body just goes numb to it?

Comment

I remember hunting several years ago down in the Trinity river bottoms. The mosquitos were so bad I had to tack netting over all my windows to help. I would corn the ride of ways around the stand and the deer would come out grab a few bites of corn then take off running through the woods in a loop and come back and grab a few more bites. Did that for the first few weeks till the cold set in. My buddies grandpa used to work cattle in there and down near the coast in the marsh. They would have to strap burlap sacks over the horses nose so they could breathe.
            Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 11-10-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X