Swine Brucellosis - Protect Yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swine Brucellosis - Protect Yourself

I for one have never wore gloves while hunting or cleaning game. During my time with Wild Boar USA, there were many weeks where I was handling, scoring, and cleaning dead hogs almost daily. I love wild pork and shooting pigs and it makes up a decent part of our annual meat consumption each year. I wear enough latex gloves as a cop and just never saw the need as a hunter.

Last week I heard from an old friend of a friend who I hunted with a few times 10+ years ago. This guy was a very successful business owner, entrepreneur, and dedicated family man who was always either in the woods, or working hard at his business. Turns out he was cleaning a hog after a hunt and contracted swine brucellosis. He fell sick within the week and the bacteria spread to his organs and brain. It left him debilitated and almost killed him. He has had to shut down his business and is still not doing very well and will never be back to the man he was. It saddens me, but also embarrasses me that I'm cocky enough to take that chance with my family's future by not putting on a pair of gloves. Never again.

Just want to pass it on... It may save one of us from going through the hell that this guy has.

How sad! I need to use gloves bc I kill and clean alot of pigs.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

I always wear gloves when cleaning wild game. Thanks for the PSA.

Comment

****..hate to hear. I'll continue to let the buzzards clean them for me.

Comment

I too am guilty of never wearing gloves thinking I won’t ever get anything. All changed when I became allergic to deer dander. now it’s palpation gloves, breathing mask, and goggles every time for me.

Thanks for the PSA, could really save someone.

Comment

buzzard and yote food, sorry about your friend.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss. On a side note you can also contract it by inhalation and eating the contaminated meat. The gloves are useful if you have a cut already or develop one while skinning/gutting

Comment

I've never worn a pair of gloves. I think I might be putting in an order on amazon today.

What kind do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
                  I've never worn a pair of gloves. I think I might be putting in an order on amazon today.

I really don’t think it matters. I use powder free Nitrile ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get made fun of...

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post

I buy nitrile. They are sold by the thickness. Thinner are cheaper but tear easily. Don't cheap out.

Comment

Very good advice. I always wear gloves when handling dead pigs. Work gloves to drag/load/dump em and latex when we skin them.

** On a side note.... how do you score a pig? Length of teeth?

Comment

Just ordered some gloves on Amazon. Been meaning to do it but after reading this went ahead and got with it. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Last Spring it seemed like I was cleaning a pig every week. I came down with something that put me down for weeks. I ran fever for 12 days straight. The dr. tested me for brucellosis but suspected Trichinosis. Now I don’t take chances. I wear gloves and make sure I cook any pork well done. For someone who never gets sick, it made me a believer for sure! Y’all be safe!

Comment

You can usually find pretty good deals on gloves at Harbor Freight. .

Comment

Working...
                              X