Gus Engeling any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling any info?

Well I decided to put in for a bunch of different hunts this year. I figured there are a lot of areas in the state, I have not hunted and don't know anything about. I like to hunt different places, see new things, hopefully learn some new stuff.
    So I got drawn for Gus Engeling, 1st time I have ever been drawn for any hunt. Never hunted anywhere near that area, I had no idea what the terrain is like on that place, till I did some reading. Not what I would have guessed for that part of the state, but never been in that area of the state, so I had no idea what it's like.
    I have hunted a few areas that had live oaks and sand on the coast, never hunted post oaks and hickory in sand. I had no idea, there are alligators that far inland or north. Might be a bit like hunting Aransas Wildlife Refuge, but with hills, different oaks and other trees.

Anybody got any info, like the differences between the different compartments? When is the rut going on, typically in that area? That's probably not important, since I don't get to choose when I get to go, but would be nice to know. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Been drawn there twice. Both times dry leaves were 6” deep. Saw deer both times but you need to pick a spot, clear a path to it, and go in silent super early and sit all day.

Comment

There are some great deer living in there but they don't come easy. The bottoms seem to produce the most deer. Think light weight ladder stands or hang on stands the ground cover is pretty thick for pop up blinds and the trees that a climber will work on aren't real plentiful in the areas I hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
        There are some great deer living in there but they don't come easy. The bottoms seem to produce the most deer. Think light weight ladder stands or hang on stands the ground cover is pretty thick for pop up blinds and the trees that a climber will work on aren't real plentiful in the areas I hunted.
        Seems you ask, 10 guys how and where to hunt a place and you get at least 7 different answers. I have done a little reading on the place, last night. Two guys said find a rid or hill to get up on, multiple said to get as high as possible in a tall tree. I really want to know as much as possible about the vegetation, trees and terrain as possible. too many times I have showed up to hunt a place and found what I expected to find, was nothing like what I found when I got there. Sounds like it has a good bit of soft sand, but I read there are marshy areas, a creek and some ponds also. Sandy hills, creeks and marsh, I am having a tough time imagining all of those being in the same area.

Comment

i got drawn for Gus for the 10/30-11/4. Talked to the park ranger and he highly suggested a tree stand for the area. I'm in the same boat as you as im trying to find out as much information as possible but what alot of people dont know is you will get selected for a designated area to hunt. Depending on how many people you got drawn with will determine the amount of acreage in your section. So scouting maps and trying to research a good area wont do you alot good until you know what you section is. Which you find out the day of orientation.

Comment

My son and I drew there 5 years ago. Deer were there, but spooked at ground blinds. Best to get a lock on or a ladder. I don't believe a Climber will work.

I too got drawn for 10/30 - 11/4, and I plan to make the most of it.

I have a lock on and a ladder.

If it is like the youth hunts, you will be given an area, then you get to scout it, put a stand up and hunt. Pigs were along the creeks, and the oaks there are amazing. Success there seems to be very tough, and when the turkey's that were there get excited all around you, it can be VERY interesting.

Comment

Im really looking forward to it for sure! I plan on investing in a new hang and hunt stand just for this scenario that ive never hunted, but looks like there are some monster deer out there as well!

Comment

You can do a search here and find lots of info on this place. I have hunted it 3 times on a youth hunt. My son killed his first 2 deer here.
                I have hunted this type of terrain all my life.
                A good lock on is what you need. Climbers will work, but a lock on will go on just about any tree. If this is a extended hunt, I would have at least 2 stands. Once you find out the compartment you have, pick the brains of the guy(s) running the hunt. They know the place. Then, do a speed scout. Find the food, you will find the deer. Know how to read the signs. Be sure to pack a Thermacell.

Comment

The plan was definitely to have 2 separate stands if i can manage a nice scout the first day and pick 2 locations and hopefully be able to sit an evening sit. Looking for fresh acorns and a possibly water source close by to try and better the odds. hopefully they are rutting early around that time to make it an even better trip! Thank you for the info @sqiggy!

Comment

I hunted there in 2016. The following are the places I saw deer. If you search, you can see previous posts from me.
                    tree: 31°54'21.60"N 95°53'45.91"W
                    stand: 31°54'13.20"N 95°53'33.58"W

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                      I hunted there in 2016. The following are the places I saw deer. If you search, you can see previous posts from me.
                      tree: 31°54'21.60"N 95°53'45.91"W
                      stand: 31°54'13.20"N 95°53'33.58"W
                      Jibby,

My son and I put our Tent blind up Just north of your stand location for his youth hunt. Saw a bobcat the first day, literally 5 yards from the blind.

We saw deer further north of there, in woods about 600 yrds north of there.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        Seems you ask, 10 guys how and where to hunt a place and you get at least 7 different answers. I have done a little reading on the place, last night. Two guys said find a rid or hill to get up on, multiple said to get as high as possible in a tall tree. I really want to know as much as possible about the vegetation, trees and terrain as possible. too many times I have showed up to hunt a place and found what I expected to find, was nothing like what I found when I got there. Sounds like it has a good bit of soft sand, but I read there are marshy areas, a creek and some ponds also. Sandy hills, creeks and marsh, I am having a tough time imagining all of those being in the same area.
                        The whole place is a sandy hill, its typical post oak savannah, lots of oaks, juniper and holly. They let you bait now but don't bother with corn those deer don't eat corn they have too many natural food sources. Deer density per acre is not as good as what I'm used to in other areas of the state I hunt, I know Richland Creek WMA just down the road has a better deer density. Be prepared for a tough hunt and not to see much but you never know. The bordering private land guys seem to hunt hard 24/7 so I think the deer there have more a nocturnal habit than even normal. Typically between 60 hunters draw and not counting hogs you will have around 10 deer killed give or take on a rifle hunt, and typically less for the archery hunt.
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 09-18-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

When i spoke with the Park Ranger he said there were some really impressive Bucks in and around the units. some of the older pictures from recent hunts show some really nice ones as well. Obviously they arent just going to pop out but gets the blood pumping for a potential public land monster!

Comment

Catfish creek runs through I believe went as guest on a doe only hunt and there were no stands allowed it was does only and the sections were numbered so they know whose shot what and where.they drop off and picked up Has ponds for duck hunters and a lot of pigs
                            Alot of oaks and sandy soil where I was got 2 does from the ground
                            Penalty for one guy shooting a buck was like a 100 bucks per inch

Comment

Hunting is in assigned sections according to how big your hunting party is (per acreage) and what type of vehicle you have-2 wheel drive or 4 wd.
                              Study a topographical map of the area. It's a combination of sandy hills with live oak, yaupon, tall white oak, water oak, scrub oak, pine.
                              Deer movement is primarily north to south or vice versa depending on what they're feeding on.
                              Baiting is useless. Too much natural food sources.
                              Lots of springs and small creeks which provide more food sources and travel corridors.
                              Lots of hogs.
                              Climbers will work especially in the creek bottoms where the tall oaks and hickory trees are. Lots of sugar sand on the section roads. Don't get stuck because they won't pull you out and a tow job is very expensive.
                              There's plenty of deer there, they're just hard to hunt.
                              I've been drawn every year there for a hunt for the past 15 years and have seen deer every time I've been there. Going there again this year for the gun doe hunt. It's my favorite place to hunt in the wma's.

Comment

Working...
                              X