No announcement yet.

Culling On A Drought Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill country we will shoot our numbers the same as we do in a wet year. Dry years let us catch up on what deer we didn’t get killed last year. Trophies will be killed the same as a good year...

Overall antlers look good. Thank goodness L&E delivers by the semi truck load. Ready for rain though hauling water gets old.

Comment

With 6 or 7 Grandkids wanting to shoot a buck it's going to be a tough year. I have 2 older nice bucks to kill. Might move down to older 8 points.
      Last edited by doghouse; 09-28-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I’m only culling bucks I have history with this year that are known targets, along with does, pigs and a few Axis. We will likely not shoot a trophy buck this year. I’m ok with that.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
          We are still going to take the bottom end out of our 4+ yr olds. They will be down also but they would have gone in a wet year also being the bottom of each age class.
          IMO people now use Cull as a reason to shoot the biggest 8 pt or less they can find instead of the bottom of every age class regardless of year.
          Amen

Comment

We see better horn and animal health in drought years because the deer are forced to eat plants that are higher in protein but less palatable. Long term drought conditions are a different story.

Comment

I had a bachelor group of babies with some heavy headgear but its creek bottom so think the browse was still plenty. They ate the heck out of the greenbrier this year. It never stopped growing. They found my garden corn rows also haha.

Im covered in wild oats. Do the deer eat it? It would be high protein. Something eats it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X