• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I retired in 1988.... to pass the time I commercial crab 4 -5 days a week

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
      50 hours

I'll take time off when I'm dead. Love me some hard work.
      My motto too. Plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. Plan on sliding into the grave totally wore out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        My wife and I could retire now but I have 20 employees that will listen to me cry about the economy and hogs eating my protein. If I retired I would only have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          I retired in 1988.... to pass the time I commercial crab 4 -5 days a week
          Wow you have already out lived the odds of retirement. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Almost 4 years now. Nothing better IMO. I am the type that can't sit still. I work harder now than I ever did at my job, but I set my hours. LOL!
            I help the wife out around the house while she is working. Get all my want to done when I want. Go to the ranch & piddle etc anytime I want. Hunt & fish when I want. Day is over before I know it & wonder where did the day go. I wonder how I got everything done when I did have a job.

I will add I was at the same place 40 yrs. The last several, I hated EVERY morning I got up to go to the job. Now I Thank the Lord every morning when I wake up & see the ceiling. LOL!
            Exactly my life. Except my small ranch is Mule driving distance and I bought cows
            I am a much better person to my family and others since I gave up the stress of work and commuting. I should have retired 5 yrs earlier.
            Last edited by Big pig; 07-05-2022, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I'll be 62 in September. I retired 13 months ago after working for 45 years and have not slowed down a bit. I will tell you that I did not LOVE the job I retired from. I enjoyed it but did not love it. I've actually had people firmly tell me that retiring from a good job at my age is stupid... To each their own. I don't know how many guys I've known work till they get sick, and THEN retire and try to enjoy life.. I am doing things I LOVE now, and most of the time with the one I love. Bonus!

One thing I do is I do all my own work around the house. Only pay folks for stuff I CAN'T do. A/C, roof.. etc.. I look at yard work (mowing, edging, cleaning) as exercise. Gets my heart rate up for a couple of hours. Good sweat. Bike, travel, camp, hunt, fish, build stuff, clean... Keep an active mind. No laying on the couch watching Okra.. Oprah! Just keep active.

I actually took on a paying part time gig at a ranch. Kinda just fell in my lap. Dozing, mowing, disking, haying, preparing the fields for this coming duck and deer season. Really enjoying that!
              Last edited by Les; 07-05-2022, 05:48 PM.
              Lesto!!

Comment

I retired about 18 months ago at the ripe old age of 50. I love every day of it. Usually start the day with a 3 mile walk around our neighborhood. After that, I do whatever I want to do.

Earlier this year, I took 4 fishing trips to Costa Rica and 1 to Guatemala. I spent a couple days last week with my uncle fishing on Lake Texoma. Today my Realtor and I went and looked at a couple investment properties. Tomorrow I’m going to lunch with a former colleague.

Life is short and I’m going to spend what time I have left doing what I want to do.

Comment

Only 48 months to go then I will look for a hunting gig somewhere LOL! Would like to manage a ranch where I can do a few chores a day and feed the animals then guide during the season. Have a buddy that does it and he loves his new job.

Comment

I work a business I started 10 months after I retired.

Comment

I retired 20 years ago in May. I owned my own company and before that worked crazy amounts of hours in other jobs. I tell people now I don’t know how I ever had time for a job. I have lots of things I like to do so filling my days is never a problem. Best of luck to you. I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I retired at 62. Thirteen years ago.
                        You know how hard you worked on the weekends while you are working?
                        Well everyday is a weekend.

Comment

Life is like a void- you give up work and retire. This does not mean you do nothing (unless you chose and you probably won't last long) you simply refocus your time from work related activities to self selected activities.

The #1 thing you must maintain in retirement is good health in order to enjoy it. It is more important than money. You can have money, but w/o good health you will not enjoy retirement.

What activities did you develop outside of work while you were working?

I have been retired for about 15 yrs and have not been bored any day other than illness or health issue related. I don't think I could maintain a full-time job now- too busy.

Since retirement I have occupied my time with church related work, hunting activities, golfing and traveling and activities with my wife.

I was in personnel management for 35 years so I had a lot of contact with people retiring. One thing I learned from them was do not retire until you are ready and committed to retirement. You do not want to retire with regrets afterward.

Wishing you the best and hope you make wise decisions concerning your retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            I retired 20 years ago in May. I owned my own company and before that worked crazy amounts of hours in other jobs. I tell people now I don’t know how I ever had time for a job. I have lots of things I like to do so filling my days is never a problem. Best of luck to you. I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            You must have been fairly young when you retired based on your avatar pic

I’m only 48 but heck I think about retirement. Maybe I’m just jealous of you guys
                            I’m too old to transition to something but I’m convinced there are days I’m burned out on what I do. I feel like what I do doesn’t really impact lives & is just a daily grind. Many times I wished I had a career that had an impact on others that I could see more value in what I do
                            Meanwhile I’ll stay focused on my retirement

Comment

Envious of you folks retiring around 50 or so. I'll be 65 in October. Looking to retire next April. Should be OK financially wise. ya don't get rich as a state worker. I plan to revitalize my fishing activities. Haven't fished much in years even though I really enjoy it. May get a boat and take my grandson fishing.

But, as stated earlier, plan to continue to work out & stay active. Hard for me to stay inside ...well, unless it is a gazillion degrees outside.

Comment

I’m 66 and retired 1 1/2 years ago. I have a little side business that does more to occupy me than supplement my income but I enjoy it. I have a small homestead that I raise a garden on and I have a few livestock. I really enjoy taking care of my place. Then there’s riding my motorcycle, a little charity work and playing on TBH. Just playing on TBH can take up a lot of time during the day. I try to exercise at least every other day if not more. I’ve found that since I retired the days just fly by.

Comment

Working...
                                X