No announcement yet.

South Dakota antelope down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got lucky and drew another tag in SD this year. Drove up Friday and punched my tag yesterday.

After seeing a few groups early we found one herd far off in a cut wheat field that appeared to have a decent buck. We walked up along the ditch and then crawled 200 yrds along a fence line to get within range. When we set up at the fence the main buck in a the herd was nowhere to be found.

We sat there glassing for a while as they fed and he started trotting back over the hill - after he apparently ran off another buck.
    Heading back to the herd the buck smelled or spotted us and started coming slowly closer to check us out. He started pawing the ground and rubbing his horns on the stubble trying to show off. After he turned broadside it was all over. Looking forward to antelope loin and backstrap on the grill when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your wearing them speedgoats out congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats! I will be there in November for whitetail. I cant wait.

Comment

Congrats ! Nice buck and even better eating.....

Comment

Waydago, I bet thats a good time

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice....Congrats!!!

Comment

Back in SD this year with an tag. I didn’t draw for antelope last year, but did draw and fill a mule deer tag here.

We started early this morning driving and glassing and saw a lot of mule deer and whitetail in the draws. Antelope were not in the usual spots early but we ended up spotting a decent buck with two does about 1/2 mile away on a flat. We dropped down into the draw behind us and side-hilled it around for several hundred years. Came up another draw and couldn’t see them due to the little rise in front but I figured they were close unless they spooked. We crawled around 100 yrds and could finally see them feeding out in front. The wind was perfect and they didn’t have a clue we were there. I got into position to make the shot and dropped him at ~170 yrds. First hunt with the Ruger 25-06 I got a couple years ago. It turns out I killed this goat within sight of where I shot a mule deer last year. This part of the state is unique where you can see whitetails, muleys, and antelope in the same areas. It’s hard for me to believe but my buddy even saw two bull elk out here that must’ve traveled down from the Black hills which are probably 30-40 miles away.

My buddy that lives here with ended up shooting a nice goat this afternoon after a similar stalk in a different unit a few miles away. It was pretty warm today so we got them both quartered and put in the fridge this evening. Only bad thing is we both tagged out on the first day. Looks like I’ll just have to go trout fishing in the hills tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X