• Show
Clear All

Outstanding!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Were y’all in Unit 4?

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to the both of you. Some good memories made.

Comment

It will be very hard to ever top that hunt. That's about as great as it gets. Like winning a mega lotto.

Comment

Great job both of you!! Such a great experience and you both will remember for many, many years to come!!!

Comment

Wow, great write up, great pics and awesome buck!!!! Congrats....

Comment

Pretty cool stuff, congrats.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Had u been to big bend before and already have a lay of the land? How bad did you scratch up your truck on those narrow roads? Is the hunt by compartment or how were the hunters divided up?
                  Scratches are one thing.

I took a Jeep when I went and had to have all 4 tires replaced when I got back. I did take it thru some stuff though most might have not done.

If you plan on hunting some of the far out units or plan to drive a bunch, I would seriously considered putting compound in your tires and taking a tire repair kit and portable 12V compressor.

Comment

Memories for a lifetime. The SP is one of my favorite places on this earth. Lots of history and unique things to see. Congrats on the deer.

Comment

Awesome hunt, congrats to your son and to you for the memories y’all made together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                        Were y’all in Unit 4?

Congrats!

We drew unit 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations on a great hunt and for the wonderful time you and your son enjoyed!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                            Had u been to big bend before and already have a lay of the land? How bad did you scratch up your truck on those narrow roads? Is the hunt by compartment or how were the hunters divided up?
                            You might get some scratches on the sides of the body, if you find trails that have brush large enough, with narrow enough openings between them. On our first trip to Big Bend, we rented a Taurus, in Alpine. I took that car a long ways down many trails listed as requiring 4X4 and high ground clearance vehicles. I am glad the rental car company did not look at the bottom of the car when we brought it back. The bottom of the car got very scraped, scratched, dented. My wife was telling me to turn around most of the time we were on the multiple trails we went down. But there really was not any place I could have turned that Taurus around, without getting it stuck and really torn up. So it was either keep going forward, till we found a spot wide enough I could turn around or back way down the trail, back to the last wide spot in the trail, which I had to do at least once.

Years later, we took my F350 4X4, out there. We drove a lot of miles down some really interesting trails. Drove across multiple creeks, in the truck. It rained off and on while we were there, so the small creeks were flowing. Made my wife nervous. I kept trying to make her understand, that most of the bottom of the creeks was rock, with some silt. I had to back the truck back down a couple trails, because, the trail got too narrow for my truck, so we had to back, back out on a narrow trail. Once it was one of those whatever you do, make sure you stay on the trail or your day is going to get seriously messed up trails. Doing that backwards was fun.

A smaller truck like a older Jeep or a early Bronco, would be the way to go. High ground clearance, is definitely needed on some spots, on some trails. But what you need the most out there, are tires, that can handle rocks, sharp rocks. Rocks can pinch your tire and pop it, or puncture a large hole in a second. If you drive down rocky roads at higher speeds, they will eat your tread up on your tires. Definitely take some good spares and a good jack, boards and maybe a winch. You probably won't need a winch, probably not anything to tie off to and most likely won't get into anything that soft. Unless, it's a creek bottom, there are some soft areas, in creek bottoms, that can get bad, when they are wet. We luckily never went through any of those areas. But we saw some areas, that looked like they could get very soft, very quickly, with some water added.

Rocks killing tires in many ways, and narrow trails, or trails that suddenly have deep holes, washed out areas, will be your most likely problems.

Comment

Congrats! I need to put my Daughter in for that hunt. My mother's side of the family used to own part of the park long, long ago before the government took it. Because my great grandmother was illiterate they didn't even get compensated for it. Would be neat to hunt land with that kind of family history.

Comment

What an awesome experience for both of you. Great job dad and wow what a toad of a buck for your son. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X