Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

TWP... we’re looking at 10,000’+
    Last edited by drop dead fred; 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      That’s what i heard as well the terrain is roughhhhh and you better be prepared! We’re looking at a 4 mile hike in to are “desired” area from a major hwy. If we can use the access road it’ll get us to within 1.5 miles thank you so much for your insight! That map doesn’t show the particular road I’m lookin for, but I’ve been scouring their sight trying to learn as much as i can. Greatly appreciated bud!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Cool... I have the OnX maps app. let me know if I can search the area for the road you are seeking to locate. No need for specific gps #s of your desired location just pm me a general location and I could possibly provide some snap shots to the area via the OnX maps.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        Awesome thank you! Now could you possibly explain these dates to me is it stating they’re open from May-March some what confusing... sorry I’m completely ignorant to the public land life appreciate the insight

That means it is closed in April.
        It opens in May when conditions permit, snowmelt etc. then stays open until March of the next year. Closes in April and reopens in May again.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          That means it is closed in April.

It opens in May when conditions permit, snowmelt etc. then stays open until March of the next year. Closes in April and reopens in May again.

That’s how i was reading it but wanted to make sure. Thank you for the clarification

Comment

I think I need a whiskey drinking/vacation hunt before my next elk hunt in 2020. Maybe I can organize a tbh bear hunt of some kind next spring. [emoji848]

Comment

Get your WY deer/antelope apps in if you need them big bucks.

Comment

We just got another nice storm with good snow for the mountains and lots of rain down lower. Gonna be a good year in some areas for horns and antlers!
                Hoping it was the last snow of the spring as leaves are coming out now and my garden needs some warm weather and sunshine.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4B9CA9E-64A3-4D42-894D-7F83C9A45D9E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	24580537
                  The bulls are growing in NM. Ive been seeing a bunch that are 4 points now. These guys were running around my neighborhood like kids on a playground yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                    I think I need a whiskey drinking/vacation hunt before my next elk hunt in 2020. Maybe I can organize a tbh bear hunt of some kind next spring. [emoji848]

I might be in for this.

Comment

Only 4 months to go and I'll be chasing bulls east of Jackson Wy!

Comment

Any One ever Hunted 6a In New Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                          Any One ever Hunted 6a In New Mexico?
                          I have buddies that do

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                            [ATTACH]958725[/ATTACH]

The bulls are growing in NM. Ive been seeing a bunch that are 4 points now. These guys were running around my neighborhood like kids on a playground yesterday.

Behind our house this morning, Bozeman MT. We’ve seen hundreds of cows, zero bulls moving down into the farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Awesome story ddf!

I hunted unit 78 last year and found it extremely challenging... It was my first western style hunt and I was unprepared for a lot of it. I did a solo hunt as a lot of folks are interested in going on the adventure until it's actually time to go.

As you know, there are some very knowledgable peeps on here that you can get more information as to the area. Two TBHers gave me/shared info on units 78 and 81. I will try to find the info and pass it on.

My trip was an an awesome adventure although I ate elk tag soup. I learned a lot but still need way more schooling. Those elk are highly educated and were never threatened by me

Everything I was told by hunters whom I encountered out there was that the year was a brutally dry one. They also mentioned elk numbers were down in the area due to the drought like conditions. From my experiance, which I never encountered an elk it seemed logical. A lot of water holes were dry or drying and all had some sign of recent elk activity. I Hunted water several times but I assume the elk had been pushed of the public land. I was hunting near a valley containing a lot of private land.

I did not venture far enough into the wilderness area as I had initially planned. That was my biggest mistake (I think). Every place I hunted had recent elk activity to some extent but all had a whole lot of sign that hunters had been around. The cams I set up on trails all captured mule deer activity but no elk activity.

Here Is a link to some of the public land roads that provide access to the South San Juan Wilderness area the national forest area surrounding the wideness area. Most of this is east of the Pagosa Springs area. It apppears some of the areas are close due to rain and snow melt. Hoping this will be a wetter year out there

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...telprdb5262330
                              Ironically all the elk I called in last year where down low 7-8k foot(not far off main road you took in). I went deep in Wilderness and had minimal sign so I came out I had to go to my old low deer spots to find elk. Last year was rough.

Comment

FYI anyone looking for a Pack EXO just discounted last years model that had some color blemishes.

Pretty darn good deal

Comment

Working...
                                X