Any one have a Ruger old army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one have a Ruger old army

I always wanted one, and have been looking at them. But I like accurate guns. If so, what kind of groups do you get ? I watched videos and I’ve heard 2” at 25 feet. But the videos I watch it seems more like 5” -7” at 25 feet. My brothers not able to shoot a bow any more. And he wants to use his 14” contender on javelina. But I tell him there’s no sport in that. He has no other hand gun. And I think the black powder Ruger would be cool. ( I would be buying it for him to use)

Curious: why is there no sport in using a Contender? It's a single shot. Gotta make it count. And you can get shorter barrels in various calibers for it. I've got a few Contenders with several different barrels and configurations.

I do admire the Ruger Old Army for what they are. And think that would be just as sporting in something like a .44. I once considered using one for deer hunting, keeping it within it's effective range. They certainly have the power to down a deer.

I'm am also a fan of pistol hunting. But also a fan of "hunting", be it bullfrogs with an air rifle or blowgun, hunting fish in different formats (bow, hand, rod and string, ect), and hunting most anything within it's legal means. I just enjoy hunting and eating what I kill.

Comment

If you figure out what charge it likes it can be accurate. I think the best I got was 4-5inch at 25 yds.

Comment

It’s just that it’s realy easy to get 100 yards to them without even trying, and making that shot with a contender is pretty easy. He only has the one barrel, and he is not going to buy another just to shoot a javelina. ( he’s not really into hunting them, but I would like him to experience it ) And shooting them from distance is just not sporting to me. ( why I bow hunt) And even a black powder rifle would be kinda cool( he is into that) , but still not much of a challenge. It’s getting close to those dudes that make it interesting, and a black powder pistol would be kinda cool, I think. And seems as though you would have to get within “ bow” range to use one. Plus I’ve always wanted one, and this would be a reason to buy one. But I don’t want to buy one if they only shoot 6-7 inch groups at 25 feet. Now 1-2 inch groups I would invest in one. I could always let him use one of my pistols 9mm, 45, 454, 10 mm, or such also. But that don’t interest him much. He wishes he could bow hunt, but his shoulder won’t allow it. And yes I also like “ hunting” any thing ( but not into rifles much any more) . But he thinks elk ( black powder) are the only thing worth hunting any more. And to get him to try anything else is very very difficult, and I thought this would “ pick” his interest to get him to come down there with us.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
          If you figure out what charge it likes it can be accurate. I think the best I got was 4-5inch at 25 yds.
          Is this off hand or from a rest ? They surly have enough “ umph” to take a javelina or a pig don’t they ? You use round balls or bullets ? Just noticed you said 25 YARDS, not feet, correct ? Shoot that would be good.
          Last edited by critter69; 05-18-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

A crossbow might work at 25 yards with irons or shot instinctive.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              A crossbow might work at 25 yards with irons or shot instinctive.
              Yea we might do that also, another buddy of ours has one he can use.

Comment

Working...
              X