X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
    Live and Learn

Glad I had people to set me straight.
    Lol! Glad you and your boy had a good season out there one of a kind place in central Texas.

Comment

He had plenty of deer sightings but none of them were ideal kill shots for a 10 year old with an xbow.

We should talk Derrick into arranging creating a +1 either sex deer with a permitted adult.

My boy could have shot a good 6 point he rattled in at 10 yards broadside. Stared at him through the scope for 2 minutes.

Comment

He had plenty of deer sightings but none of them were ideal kill shots for a 10 year old with an xbow.

We should talk Derrick into arranging creating a +1 either sex deer with a permitted adult.

My boy could have shot a good 6 point he rattled in at 10 yards broadside. Stared at him through the scope for 2 minutes.

Good idea and I'm all for getting more kids into hunting only problem I see is some dad's would be taking full advantage of that. Kinda like the 2 guys who were drawn at standby with their two kids one looked about 7 the other was looked to be about 4-5... seemed a little off to me but could been my butt hurt from not getting drawn

Comment

Bloodtrailer- they can not do draw hunts until they are 8. I have not really hunted much since my oldest now 19 was 4. Shot his first whitetail at 4. My younger started when he was 5. I don't know why guys get bent on kids out hunting. Funny thing with my oldest is when he was 8 I bet a guy that was saying the kid could not hold a gun. I bet him $100 the kid could shoot a better 200 yard 3 shot group than he could. Kid went first and had all three about size of golf ball. Guy handed me $100 and walked away. Just because a kid is small or what you consider young does not mean they have not been properly trained.

Comment

I'm in a different boat. I am a divorced father with the crappy state of Texas every other weekend and 1 night a week bull **** schedule. With that, I was only able to take my boy out every other weekend. He was drawn on 2 additional hunts which only left him being able to hunt 3 total weekends in the entire season for a total of 6 days.

I'm not sure what the statistics are on hunters at Granger and how many days they actually were in the field, but I bet his time in the woods would rival 75% of the adults drawn. Hitting the walk in at 430am and returning to the truck at dark = ~14 hour days.

I logged 70 miles of scouting prior to season opening. With that attention to detail I was able to place him in ideal locations but we did not setup blinds. All hunting was off the ground. I don't know about anyone else but having a 10 year old sitting on the ground with a xbow and expecting them to be able and maneuver it and a shooting stick while not spooking deer within 40 yards, that's crazy. We could have placed 2 person ladder stands now that I am thinking about it, but we did not.

A xbow worries me more about safety than a firearm. I was hunting by myself in treestands when I was 12. Thinking about that now I wonder what my dad was thinking. No way I would let my boy climb a tree at 12 and then leave him there all day.

With all this being said, I believe that permit would have been more useful to an adult hunter. I could have taken my son along with me and he would have been just as happy and probably would have learned more being able to watch what I do in certain situations. He had more fun at Chaparral and Abilene State Park hunting with a gun on youth only hunts. There were kids his age to hang out with and talk about what went on that day.

Think about it this way, if Granger limited applicants age to 17 and older and then had 2 pre-season and 2 post-season either-sex youth only 16 and under hunts, that would get 200 more youth in the field while helping to increase the harvest numbers.

I'm not sure how many bucks were killed this last weekend, but as of the weekend prior only 8. If everyone saw some of the bucks I did, there sure are some messed up culls that should be taken out. Maybe the youth hunt is a either sex with a cull/management buck. Who knows?

Comment

Wishful thinking but it won't happen, I think if it weren't for Derrick taking over the job xbows still wouldn't be allowed out there either, wish they weren't.

Comment

That would be a great idea. Adult gets permit let them take a minor for youth weekend. Maybe shotgun. Also now let them hunt late youth season

Comment

Not having crossbows. I say make it real. No let off bows. Longbow and recurve. While that benefits me it does not promote hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Bloodtrailer- they can not do draw hunts until they are 8. I have not really hunted much since my oldest now 19 was 4. Shot his first whitetail at 4. My younger started when he was 5. I don't know why guys get bent on kids out hunting. Funny thing with my oldest is when he was 8 I bet a guy that was saying the kid could not hold a gun. I bet him $100 the kid could shoot a better 200 yard 3 shot group than he could. Kid went first and had all three about size of golf ball. Guy handed me $100 and walked away. Just because a kid is small or what you consider young does not mean they have not been properly trained.
                    Well I know one of the kids was def not 8 if it was it was the tiniest 8 year old girl I have ever seen This was a stand by and not an actual drawing so not sure if that rule applies then or if they even check saw several kids that were around that age. Nobody is bent out of shape was just commenting on how some could take advantage of that rule. Shooting a rifle at 4 years old is a little different than shooting a crossbow imo. I'm all for getting kids hunting and take multiple youths hunting at our places ever year.

Comment

Granger is not a place for youth archery. That is my opinion.

It is a place for other youth hunting activities.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        Well I know one of the kids was def not 8 if it was it was the tiniest 8 year old girl I have ever seen This was a stand by and not an actual drawing so not sure if that rule applies then or if they even check saw several kids that were around that age. Nobody is bent out of shape was just commenting on how some could take advantage of that rule. Shooting a rifle at 4 years old is a little different than shooting a crossbow imo. I'm all for getting kids hunting and take multiple youths hunting at our places ever year.
                        I've seen some of the state draw hunt standbys on the youth hunts and positive they don't go by the 8 year old minimum, again like you said if they do its some of the tiniest 8yo I've ever seen, but these are also rifle hunts, theres a reason the state doesn't have a youth archery category in the draw hunts...
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 01-07-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Anyone shoot a 200+lb boar on North side of gate 5 road in San Gabriel?
                          Bow arrow with a fixed blade broad head and green fletchins.

Shoot me a PM and I will give coordinates where to retrieve your arrow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            Granger is not a place for youth archery. That is my opinion.

It is a place for other youth hunting activities.

Are you telling me my daughter couldn’t sneak up in a deer dressed like this??? Cow suit is the secret weapon. Also- she is 8 years old in this picture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a really good idea actually. Adult cow suits!

Comment

I learned that those deer can be relaxed when a cow is around. Deer at 25 yards, I'm on the ground in a wide open field. Actually used the cows to close the distance

Comment

Working...
                                X