No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received the same email. They recommend you do not scout prior to orientation but will allow you to scout all day.

Comment

yeah...i'll be out there by sunrise, if not sooner. However early I can go.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post
        My group got drawn for the hunt between 11/30 through 12/4. We attended the exotic archery hunt last year. We stayed in Harlingen last year in a hotel, this year we are thinking about staying at Adolph Thomae County Park. Has any of y’all stay at the park in the past, if so what are the amenities like? Such as shower and bathroom facilities, rv sites and tent sites. All help is appreciated, will help us to make our decision.
        IF you run late and pack out a nilgai till past 10:00 (it has happened) YOU WILL NOT GET BACK INTO THE PARK UNLESS YOU WALK FROM GATE TO CAMP. they have one way tire spikes to prevent apter hour travel or backwards travel. Plus the after hour parties and music might not let you sleep. If there is rain prior to your hunt, mosquitoes will carry you off. There are several places on Arroyo Colorado that rent small fishing cabins, shacks or trailers. Do a web search, you might find something cheap at those dates.
        Good luck.

Comment

I got selected for the 11-16 through 11-20 hunt! This will be my third time hunting out there in 3 years. Got my first bow kill out there 3 years ago and stalked a nilgai within 40 yards on a salt flat last season but couldn't connect and it has haunted me ever since. Hopefully I can make it happen this fall. I've already started working out because it is one tough hunt. Can't wait to get back out there!

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
            IF you run late and pack out a nilgai till past 10:00 (it has happened) YOU WILL NOT GET BACK INTO THE PARK UNLESS YOU WALK FROM GATE TO CAMP. they have one way tire spikes to prevent apter hour travel or backwards travel. Plus the after hour parties and music might not let you sleep. If there is rain prior to your hunt, mosquitoes will carry you off. There are several places on Arroyo Colorado that rent small fishing cabins, shacks or trailers. Do a web search, you might find something cheap at those dates.
            Good luck.
            I am guessing they don't have "quiet" times ?

Comment

Huntindad, are y’all planning on staying in a tent or in a camper? I wasn’t planning on pulling a camper 9 hours down there unless I have to. With the mosquitos comment from hound dog it has me rethinking the tent idea. Undecided now.

Comment

A buddy is bringing his camper.

Comment

Airbnb has some pretty good deals if you spit the cost between a couple of hunting parties, and you have an entire house that is often less than a hotel.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                      Airbnb has some pretty good deals if you spit the cost between a couple of hunting parties, and you have an entire house that is often less than a hotel.

I’d be will my to split a house with TBH’ers if y’all decide to go this route. Also interested if anybody knows about a cabin rental available. I don’t feel like pulling the rv again this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vitals

OK, all this talk of shot placement has me wondering, "Who's got pics of where the vitals are on a nilgai?" Are they like deer or more like African game? Do they allow tracking dogs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          OK, all this talk of shot placement has me wondering, "Who's got pics of where the vitals are on a nilgai?" Are they like deer or more like African game? Do they allow tracking dogs? Inquiring minds want to know.
                          You'd run dogs with a possible other 249 hunters out there hunting?

Tip for everyone else: Y'all figure out this dudes plan really quick and move FAR FAR AWAY!

Tracking dogs will definitely not be allowed.

Just double lung them and get ready to die yourself while hauling them out!

Comment

Is the "norm"to skin and quarter on the ground and haul out in pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              Is the "norm"to skin and quarter on the ground and haul out in pieces?
                              Yes, pretty much what is required in order to harvest the meat before spoiling, especially in such warm temps. Unless your lucky enough to stick one near a road, have a team of people, or get fortunate enough to recover one near sunset and equally fortunate enough to receive vehicle support(don't count on it), after legal hunting hours.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                                You'd run dogs with a possible other 249 hunters out there hunting?
                                Not in the daylight! Not that someone couldn't/wouldn't try shooting it/you in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                                X