Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4? Talk me out of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlockMania View Post
    I have driven F-150’s as work trucks for the past 10 years and they have all been great. My personal truck is a Tundra and fuel economy is absolutely horrible. If I didn’t mind doubling down on my truck note I’d trade it in on a F-150 in a heartbeat. Current work truck is a 16 with the 3.5 4x4 with 67,000 miles no problems at all. I haul two dingo 1000’s pretty routinely, pulls it not problem.

One thing to remember on my fords is that they don’t have trailer brake modules on the trucks stock unless that’s a better towing package that ours didn’t come with. So that’s what will kill you on the braking. Even our 2018 F250 didn’t come with a trailer brake module stock.
    The Toyo clan is not going to be happy with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      The Toyo clan is not going to be happy with you!
      That’s fine, I am completely ok with that. My wife drives a Camry, whole family drives Toyota’s most have been great but these tundras needs to catch up. People talk about Tundras being bullet proof but I had to have a $3,000 repair done on the tundra before 80,000 miles. Secondary air injection pump failure, and it’s failed again. Had to put a bypass on it, not paying to fix it again. The tundras a great for space, engine is good, nice trucks but they have there issues too. And I am a huge Toyota guy myself. I have just put a **** load of miles on Fords with not many issues to speak of at all. And Toyota needs to get with the times and produce a more efficient vehicle. My dads 2018 Tundra averages 13.5 on the highway with same as stock tire size just a little more aggressive

Comment

Originally posted by SlockMania View Post
        That’s fine, I am completely ok with that. My wife drives a Camry, whole family drives Toyota’s most have been great but these tundras needs to catch up. People talk about Tundras being bullet proof but I had to have a $3,000 repair done on the tundra before 80,000 miles. Secondary air injection pump failure, and it’s failed again. Had to put a bypass on it, not paying to fix it again. The tundras a great for space, engine is good, nice trucks but they have there issues too. And I am a huge Toyota guy myself. I have just put a **** load of miles on Fords with not many issues to speak of at all. And Toyota needs to get with the times and produce a more efficient vehicle. My dads 2018 Tundra averages 13.5 on the highway with same as stock tire size just a little more aggressive
        Agree 100%!
        I commute 200 miles a day. My next commuter vehicle will be a Camry.
        As far as trucks, those that I know who have owned the Tundra weren’t that impressed. None of them are still driving them. I am sure it’s a good truck, but it’s dated and in need of a makeover.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
          I have a 2015 F150 2wd with the 2.7 turbo. I bought it new and love the mileage, comfort, and spacious cabin (and quiet unlike the POS 2010 Chevy I had). It can get up and go when needed.

There are things that I don't like.
          1. The aluminum shell dents very easily; I put a small dent in the door frame by lightly bumping it with a guitar amp.
          2. The annoying "fuel saver" is just that (annoying) and you can turn that off by pushing a button each time you start the engine. I've read that it can be avoided by removing a fuse but I haven't done that since it doesn't activate every time I brake to a stop.
          3. I just found out yesterday that the oil pan and drain plug are heavy plastic and that the plug should be replaced around every 3rd oil change. I haven't done this and doubt that any service provider has done it, but I've ordered a couple off eBay. The Ford house wants $12 and change for one. The oil filter is in a "canister" on top of the engine, which is ok, I guess. As you can tell, I don't change my oil and rely on others for that service. I'm concerned about the use of plastic for the pan and plug and accompanying O rings.

I’ve got a 2017 F150 with the eco boost and the only issues I’ve had with it is the plastic oil pan. Had to replace it 3 times already with only 67000 miles. From what I’ve read online it sounds like if the sealant isn’t allowed to sit for a long enough time the pan will warp. Ford is aware of the problem but hasn’t issued a recall or anything yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Miketex2016 View Post
            I’ve got a 2017 F150 with the eco boost and the only issues I’ve had with it is the plastic oil pan. Had to replace it 3 times already with only 67000 miles. From what I’ve read online it sounds like if the sealant isn’t allowed to sit for a long enough time the pan will warp. Ford is aware of the problem but hasn’t issued a recall or anything yet.

Is the oil pan accessible from underneath the truck to replace or is it like my f250 where you have to take the cab off and pull the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just bought the wife one.

Comment

My 2019 2.7 has a sport mode that will surprise you

Comment

I drive a 14 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and max tow package, 7 lug axle, for work. It gets 18 mpg average with mainly highway miles and has had nothing done to it with 141,00 miles. It pulls a 100 Kw generator with a full fuel tank no problem and has plenty of power to get out into traffic towing. Towing the mileage drops down to 13-14 which matches my 05 GMC 2500 with a 6.0 empty. As someone mentioned the whirling of the turbo is annoying, and there is a hesitation if you try to punch it like a normal motor. A smooth push on the accelerator allowing the turbos to kick in gives a smooth quick acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                    What are you going to do with the Duramax?
                    I'll be trading it in or selling it out right when I do make a move. She's a good older rig.i drive it daily and my Monday and Friday commuter truck. I have a thread from 2 years ago the last time I thought about buying a new one.

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas. Looks like overwhelming good reviews and experiences.

Sounds like to me my best beat would be a 5.0, V8 with 10 speed transmission and a towing package if I plan on pulling an RV..
                      If not pulling much sounds like any of engines will do with 3.55 rear end.

From what I ve looked at so far buying new will only be 2-3 k more than buying used. Probably save that much in interest over the life of the loan and have the full warranty..

Be looking for a 19 end of the year close out deal with maybe 0% interest. If yall know a TBH Ford salesman let me know!

Thanks again

Comment

If you do 0% interest you will lose all the dealer incentives. I financed through Ford for additional incentives, then went home and refinanced through my credit union for below 3%. Shop and call lots of places. The price difference from dealer to dealer is a lot. I found the best price at Planet Ford in Spring, TX.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                          If you do 0% interest you will lose all the dealer incentives. I financed through Ford for additional incentives, then went home and refinanced through my credit union for below 3%. Shop and call lots of places. The price difference from dealer to dealer is a lot. I found the best price at Planet Ford in Spring, TX.
                          Good info. Noted

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Thanks for all the input fellas. Looks like overwhelming good reviews and experiences.

Sounds like to me my best beat would be a 5.0, V8 with 10 speed transmission and a towing package if I plan on pulling an RV..
                            If not pulling much sounds like any of engines will do with 3.55 rear end.

From what I ve looked at so far buying new will only be 2-3 k more than buying used. Probably save that much in interest over the life of the loan and have the full warranty..

Be looking for a 19 end of the year close out deal with maybe 0% interest. If yall know a TBH Ford salesman let me know!

Thanks again

The 5.0 is a great engine but the Ecoboost is a towing machine. The 5.0 will not hang with it towing.

Comment

I’d stay away from the 2019 5.0. Do some research and it will show people having to have the engines replaced because they are burning up. Something to do with the new way they made them. Do a quick google search and you’ll see what I’m talking about, part of the reason they have so many left on the lots. I’d go with the 3.5 in a brand new one personally. But then again anything that happens to it will be covered under warranty. When I was doing my research I found that the 5.0’s were good up to 18, everyone recommended the 3.5 for the 19’s.

If your into the DFW metroplex I got the best pricing from 5 star ford. Tell them your a Car Pro listener and they’ll pretty much give you fleet pricing. Go to Car Pro USA website and find a certified dealer, they make the process super easy buying a new vehicle. I set my dad up with the Toyota dealer here in town and he saved around 5k by going through them vs the dealer in Abilene.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                The 5.0 is a great engine but the Ecoboost is a towing machine. The 5.0 will not hang with it towing.

Dang it Mike. Ok with the 3.5 or 2.7?
                                Towing package?
                                3.55 rear end?

Comment

Working...
                                X