No announcement yet.

Second rut. When does it happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston County here, it's been really slow.

Comment

Small bucks searching and one chasing a doe by my stand yesterday morning, Hunt county. 1st sign of rut activity I've seen this season.

Comment

Typically 3 to 4 weeks after the first rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
          Last year they were at it from the first day of bow season till the end in some way or another. This year they started 7-10 days ago. It will be two weeks then the second one will roll around mid December for a few days. Then it will be on when the bucks are worn down, tired and hungry. The pastures are dead and they hit the oats and wheat! That's the progression in our area.
          Last year was the first year we had our place, the bucks were chasing from mid October to the end of October, from what I could tell. By the first weekend of November, they were done. This year, they started. about the second week of November, it has mostly died off, a couple weeks ago, but there are still a few doe that have not come into heat and seem to be doing so about now. Most of the bucks have disappeared, but there are a few that are after the last few does. I know there are two does that have not kicked their fawns off as of last week. One of them shows up one day with her fawns, then the next day they are by themselves. Those two doe had their fawns around late May, early June. There is another doe, that had her fawn sometime in August. We may have rut action spread out over sometime.

Comment

I’m convinced ETX (trinity county) does not have a rut

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
              I’m convinced ETX (trinity county) does not have a rut
              Oh yeah it does. Had a super intense second rut last Tuesday but I was gone for lunch and missed it.

Comment

I usually know the 2nd rut is on by the dead deer sightings on 180 West of Weatherford. Last couple seasons it was multiple around Dec 4-10. My cell cams aren’t showing much big deer movement at all, but that could mean they are out chasing and/or locked down too. Pushing does into thick cover away from cameras and everything else that could get in the way... I plan to get out this wkend or next Tues when colder temps hit

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Oh yeah it does. Had a super intense second rut last Tuesday but I was gone for lunch and missed it.
                  That makes it sound like 1 scientific geek buck got luck.

Comment

Keep in mind the peak rut is the same every year and yes 28 days later is each additional rut until the doe is bred.

Just because your not seeing bucks chasing does, does not mean the rut is not going on or at its peak

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Keep in mind the peak rut is the same every year and yes 28 days later is each additional rut until the doe is bred.

Just because your not seeing bucks chasing does, does not mean the rut is not going on or at its peak

This is 100% correct ^

Comment

Working...
                      X