Architect recommendations/House Plan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Architect recommendations/House Plan question

Does anyone have an architect that comes highly recommended? We are looking to build a house and I was wondering what a complete set of plans would cost to draw and put into blueprints.

If anyone on here has done built your own house or had plans drawn up, how much did it cost? What is a realistic number to have a complete set of plans drawn? I have heard anywhere from $1.50 per square foot to $15k for a complete set of plans. If you have any one that you could recommend, please let me know as well.

Thanks for the help.

We are paying $1.75 per ft2. Probably could find a little cheaper, but our guy comes highly recommended.

Comment

My guy charges $1.75 also.

Comment

ask what is included like engineering fees etc

Comment

Depends on the complexity of your home and what you expect as a result of paying someone for plans.

1. General floor plan, electrical layout, elevation views (planner, not an architect): $0.25 - 1.00/sf
          2. All of the above, plus section views of various rooms, walls, detail roof plan, etc. i.e. more architecturally driven: $1.75/sf
          3. Plans by an architect - seek out proposals

I went with option 1. Paid for a separate geotechnical evaluation (1 bore) for $1,200 and a foundation plan for $1,200. A couple of the builders I spoke with informed me that the detailed plans (Option 2) are certainly nice and may give you some piece of mind with the extra details provided but won't offset any cost on their bids. Furthermore, all three builders I spoke with stated they end up using McCoy's for their materials and that McCoy's does the wood structural layout that is used during construction. So if the architect's structural layout, if included, wouldn't necessarily be followed anyway. Lastly, some builders have cabinet makers that provide you with detailed plans prior to production again negating the need for detailed plans for bidding.

Comment

I found a set of plans that almost fit what I wanted. I think we paid $150 for a set of plans out of a magazine. Went to Kinkos and made a copy and then got after it with some whiteout and a pencil. Recopied it and turned it into the bank with my construction loan application.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you know what your doing.

Comment

Architects are a huge PITA in my opinion (speaking as a contractor). I'd identify a home builder that you trust and want to use and let him deal with the architect, engineering, and plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                Depends on the complexity of your home and what you expect as a result of paying someone for plans.

1. General floor plan, electrical layout, elevation views (planner, not an architect): $0.25 - 1.00/sf
                2. All of the above, plus section views of various rooms, walls, detail roof plan, etc. i.e. more architecturally driven: $1.75/sf
                3. Plans by an architect - seek out proposals

I went with option 1. Paid for a separate geotechnical evaluation (1 bore) for $1,200 and a foundation plan for $1,200. A couple of the builders I spoke with informed me that the detailed plans (Option 2) are certainly nice and may give you some piece of mind with the extra details provided but won't offset any cost on their bids. Furthermore, all three builders I spoke with stated they end up using McCoy's for their materials and that McCoy's does the wood structural layout that is used during construction. So if the architect's structural layout, if included, wouldn't necessarily be followed anyway. Lastly, some builders have cabinet makers that provide you with detailed plans prior to production again negating the need for detailed plans for bidding.
                I can say for sure that any structural drawing or details furnished solely by the architect are gonna be wrong.

Comment

Looks like I overpaid....mine was 2.50/covered ft. Architect is out of Tennessee.

Comment

I'd highly recommend using an architect that already has a good relationship with the builder you end up using. If you hire one separately, then you're stuck with more change orders than normal when they start pointing fingers at each other.

Comment

Where do you live? I have an architect I recommend. But depending on what you want, you may not need one. I'm a custom builder on the north side of houston.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can help work out all the revisions and basics before involving the expensive stamp guys.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Find a designer not a full blown architect.

Comment

I paid $2/ft and my framers said they had never seen plans so detailed. Made everything super easy for them.

Yes the lumber yard will do a takeoff but it will mostly be based on the architects framing plans and specifications.

My architect did a total of 5 site visits with inspections at critical phases of the project as well as a final punch for all of the finish contractors.

He also detailed out the depressed slab areas where we installed wood flooring.

If you don’t need this level of detail or aren’t going full custom use a home planner instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X