Log splitter recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log splitter recommendation

I’m looking for a log splitter that will be mainly used to split post oak. The northstar from northern tool seems to be a good one but looking for recommendations before I purchase one. Anyone have any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for the replies

Comment

I have the Dirty Hands 40 ton that I bought 2 yrs ago at lowes and it's been great. I had 13 trees cut down around my house and it's done amazing. The tree we cutt were oak and hickory. It went through them with no problem. Planning on cutting 7 more down in February.

Comment

Neighbor has a Dirty Hands 22 ton. We haven’t found anything it won’t split.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
          I have the Dirty Hands 40 ton that I bought 2 yrs ago at lowes and it's been great. I had 13 trees cut down around my house and it's done amazing. The tree we cutt were oak and hickory. It went through them with no problem. Planning on cutting 7 more down in February.
          Same as this one. Its been good so far. 2 decent sized oaks

Comment

37 ton northstar 10 years old and well over 100 cords of live oak split with no major issues. Honda engine.

Comment

Originally posted by CAHCAH View Post
              37 ton northstar 10 years old and well over 100 cords of live oak split with no major issues. Honda engine.

Thanks. This is the same model I am leaning towards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my 3 point hitch splitter from Tractor Supply. Runs off tractor hydraulics meaning I have one less gas engine to maintain and worry about ethanol in!

Comment

Originally posted by CAHCAH View Post
                  Honda engine.
                  This is the key.....
                  I bought a used Troy bilt, and one of the things that made my decision was the Honda engine versus other brands

I have a 27 ton. And it has handled everything I have thrown at it
                  And I have been splitting some aged century oak logs

Comment

Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, Some what old school.

Comment

I have the 37 ton NorthStar. Never a single issue with the machine in 7 seasons.

Comment

I have an old 10 plus year old Northstar and it works great. Only issue I have ever had was the original hydraulic lines came apart internally. Had some made locally and it has been going strong since.

Comment

I’ve had a 22 ton from TSC for around 5 years. It has split tons of red oak and pecan. Think I got it on sale for $649. Money well spent. I will say I have had to clean the carb a few times - entirely my fault using untreated ethanol blend. I wish they made all small engine equipment with fuel injection. I’d spend the extra cash...

Comment

Working...
                          X