Processor wouldn’t give my son his deer head until meat is processed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
    You have to have proof of sex to accompany the meat/deer to its final destination i/e the processor. The processor then takes the tag and can/will/supposed to give you a wildlife resource document to accompany you to the taxi or your home. Same is also true if you take the head and cape to the taxi first you should get the wildlife resource document for proof of sex when you drop off the meat with the processor.
    Correct

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
      Yes he told me it’s the AR that caused the rule.
      Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
        You could always leave the balls attached to the hide for proof of sex and take the head. After reading the regs, apparently balls don’t count as proof of sex. I have never left a head at the processor but i usually skin and quarter before i take them in. Guess we learn something new every day.

Antlers couldn’t necessarily be used to determine sex either, my mom shot a doe that had antlers.

Comment

He just wants to hang onto your head to make sure you come & pay for the work...good grief, I do all my own now, but I've taken deer & taken / left the horns, just quarters & only even deboned meat to the processor without any problems by just leaving the tag, so I can only guess this is recent AR county or change.

It's been a long time since I've paid for processing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
            Hate to even bring it up but I wonder if in an AR county it's to verify 13".
            Yes he told me it’s the AR that caused the rule.
            Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
            Makes sense.

The proof of sex law has been around longer than antler restrictions. There's still plenty of Counties without AR laws, but they still have to abide by the proof of sex law.

It's also perfectly legal to write a WRD to yourself. Take your deer head home, then take the meat and tag to the processor.

Comment

I killed a deer years ago around Lake Fork, and had to be in Maryland in 2days.(Pulling my boat),. Took my deer to a local processor and went through this same crap. I no longer take anything to a commercial processor. I hate technicalities, and hate spending $ on processing that I can do myself. Bought equipment and do all processing myself. I hate this happened to you.

Comment

He talked like you could get a ticket if you have the deer head without having the meat quartered or processed.

Tell the processor to give you a wildlife resource document and take the head and document with you to the final destination.

Comment

My processor has never asked me to leave the head. I typically take a skinned deer in with head removed.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                    Post that screenshot. Tag is the only thing required to stay with the meat.
                    ^^^
                    This here!

Comment

Well, pray tell, do say the name of the processor so we don't go, or maybe we do go. What am I talking about, I haven't shot a buck bbn in 4 years lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The deer wasn’t quartered. It has to be quartered to take the head with you. The regulation has been posted word for word. If the deer was brought in quartered he could have taken the head.

Comment

Bottom paragraph

[ATTACH]982507[/ATTACH]

Do you drop your deer off just field dressed? The way I read that is once I drop it off quartered and it enters their cooler and logged I’m good...

Comment

Always quarter mine. Part of the fun!

Comment

Reading this thread gave me stomach cramps.

Comment

Used to be that if you took the deer home, cut it all up and then took what you wanted ground / made into sausage that you didn't even need a tag

Has been years since I did that so would not be surprised if that changed

I just process myself, or if in a bind take quarters in and fill out paperwork and leave tag

Comment

Working...
                                X