Processor wouldn’t give my son his deer head until meat is processed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    Tag stays with meat. Processor should have a wildlife resource document (WRD) he can supply you with he's being that by the book.

I've never left a head with Cinnamon Creek.
    This ^^^^^^^

Comment

The way he explained it to me was a WRD would not apply unless you took the deer to the taxidermist first and dropped the head off. Then you would get a WRD to take with you. He said it doesn’t work the other way around unless the deer has been quartered. He was a very nice guy btw.

Comment

At first I thought it was about tagging and the meat, but it's a proof of sex issue.

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
        Post that screenshot. Tag is the only thing required to stay with the meat.
        "It is unlawful to remove the head or antlers (proof of sex) of deer or pronghorn at a commercial processor until the carcass has been quartered and entered into the cold storage logbook."

link

OP - Like someone else said, quarter and take him the meat and tag and you're good to go.

Comment

Yep the meat and the tag is all I've ever taken to a processor. They don't need the head

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            At first I thought it was about tagging and the meat, but it's a proof of sex issue.

"It is unlawful to remove the head or antlers (proof of sex) of deer or pronghorn at a commercial processor until the carcass has been quartered and entered into the cold storage logbook."

link

OP - Like someone else said, quarter and take him the meat and tag and you're good to go.
            Same here......I haven't taken a whole deer to a processor, just the quarters which law only requires the tag to stay with the meat.

Comment

You could always leave the balls attached to the hide for proof of sex and take the head. After reading the regs, apparently balls don’t count as proof of sex. I have never left a head at the processor but i usually skin and quarter before i take them in. Guess we learn something new every day.

Comment

I've had some do that, never thought it was a big deal.

Comment

Texas is so hot, I have always quartered the deer and dropped it off on way home from the lease. I throw the head in the processors dumpster if it’s a doe. And take it with me with a wildlife resource document if a buck.

Comment

Hate to even bring it up but I wonder if in an AR county it's to verify 13".

Comment

Interesting. We were just discussing how most guys don't bother to do anything but shoot and drop off their deer.
                      I have seldom dropped off a field dressed deer. In fact the only time I did was one I killed at the ranch in 17* and I field dressed it and drove home. Next morning it was a solid chunk so she went in whole.
                      The bucks are already beheaded by the time they get to the processor.

Comment

There is a shortage of whitetails so they have to keep track of them all.

Comment

it is because the deer was not quartered. if you had it quartered in an ice chest it would have been no issue. any reason why you didnt quarter it? sure makes processing fee cheaper if you bring it in quartered

Comment

When you gut it leave the balls attached. Lol. There is your proof of sex and take the head/antlers with ya! Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
                              Hate to even bring it up but I wonder if in an AR county it's to verify 13".
                              Yes he told me it’s the AR that caused the rule.

Comment

The real issue is your tag is for antlered or no antlered deer. Proof of sex is neither. I have seen does with antlers and bucks that were slick heads.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Working...
                                X