Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019/20 Duck Season - Official Thread

Who's Ready!

Teal season opens up in 2 weeks. This afternoon I switched the yaks from fishing to hunting mode and started gathering gear and getting stuff ready. I went scouting last weekend and saw a few teal but more local wood ducks and mallards than teal. North Texas is always spotty during tel season but we should still knock out a few birds.

I don't have any big trips planned this year, just going to stay flexible and local most likely. I would like to go hunt cranes at some point this season so gunna try to make that happen.

Who else is ready? Anyone have any fun trips planned this fall/winter?

I can't wait! My dog is about done with duck training and will be ready by the teal opener.

Comment

Looking forward to it! Been running the hunt test game with drake to keep him tuned up and ready!

Comment

After last year's weak season we're ready for Some birds to show. Got three or four spots located just need to scout them come Nov.

We're going to Kansas this year late November to hunt public. Hope it's not frozen by then.

We pulled the kayaks out last weekend and made sure the covers were in order. Need to fill in some base brush and they'll be good to go.
        I've got some canada floaters on order for Kansas, may put them out here and see what happens. Don't really expect geese unless they're locals but I'm wondering if the ducks will react positively to them.

Good luck to all!.

Comment

Headed out tomorrow for a 4 day weekend. Start hunting dove Sunday Monday Tuesday. Get some good shooting practice in. Need to string up 3 dozen new teal dekes. And then we will see what happens in two weeks if they show up. Usually pretty slow here for teal. Last year was our best in a long time. Then no big ducks showed up. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
            Headed out tomorrow for a 4 day weekend. Start hunting dove Sunday Monday Tuesday. Get some good shooting practice in. Need to string up 3 dozen new teal dekes. And then we will see what happens in two weeks if they show up. Usually pretty slow here for teal. Last year was our best in a long time. Then no big ducks showed up. Can't wait.
            Same here, great teal season but only had one hunt with a limit during regular season.

Comment

Got a case of bismuth to try this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                After last year's weak season we're ready for Some birds to show. Got three or four spots located just need to scout them come Nov.

We're going to Kansas this year late November to hunt public. Hope it's not frozen by then.

We pulled the kayaks out last weekend and made sure the covers were in order. Need to fill in some base brush and they'll be good to go.
                I've got some canada floaters on order for Kansas, may put them out here and see what happens. Don't really expect geese unless they're locals but I'm wondering if the ducks will react positively to them.

Good luck to all!.
                Depending on where I'm hunting I normally throw out a few canada or spec floaters. I think they add confidence to the spread and another plus is they can be seen from a ways out to peak the interest of any ducks.

Comment

I know me and my pup are ready!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Holy bumper bat man! ^

Comment

Look - mojo made a decoy especially for boom scouters , internet scouters and bonafied kookamungas alike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                        Got a case of bismuth to try this year.
                        I think you'll like that bismuth as it hits pretty hard, but I'd highly recommend you pattern it if you get the chance.

I shot their 3" 1 1/2 oz 4s last year and it took a lot more constriction than I initially thought it would to get them shooting right. I started out with a LM choke which threw great patterns at close range, but it took an IM to get the best density between 30-40 yards.

Long story short, the bismuth needs a tighter choke than steel to perform well at an equivalent range.

Comment

super pumped. Ready to hunt teal hard.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                            Look - mojo made a decoy especially for boom scouters , internet scouters and bonafied kookamungas alike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Spoonzilla!! I'm in I've got to get one. My buddy said it was his mission to kill and mount a full plumed one this year. I told him he won't do it without one of these.

Comment

Spoonies are fun to blast. They should have a separate limit for them somewhere between 10-100
                              Last edited by CJ776; 09-06-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X