• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expiration time on vacuum sealed meat?

Stoked to hear these responses, I was worried about 12-18 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Simple.. If it doesn't stink then eat it.

Comment

My old lady is in the process of cleaning out the big freezer. The Dobermans are enjoying 10 year old deer meat mixed in with their food.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

This right here.

Our family relies almost entirely on venison for our red meat (excepting the occasional ribeye or smoked brisket). As you can imagine, we cut up a lot of animals every year. Occasionally we’ll find a package hiding in a bottom corner that is 5 years old or better. It eats the same as last month’s package.

If you can keep the oxygen off of the meat, it’s good until you decide to eat it.

Comment

Comment

I believe that if you keep meat at 0° in a deep freezer, it will last indefinitely. What may suffer will be the quality but not the safety.

Comment

Dad found a beef roast in his freezer that had been in there 8 years. One of the best roasts ive ever eaten.

Comment

This. Over the weekend found some breakfast sausage I had made 4 years ago so thawed it out, smelled fine so ate it. Tasted great and family had no idea it wasn’t last years deer

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                    Dad found a beef roast in his freezer that had been in there 8 years. One of the best roasts ive ever eaten.
                    Cryogenic aging

Comment

I pressure cooked a badly freezer burned turkey breast that was 4 years old and it was fine. Properly wrapped (freezer paper) or vacuum sealed meat will last years in a non frost free freezer.

Comment

The key is properly packaged meat. If I have a surplus of a great season I might wrap some in steam wrap then vacuum seal them also. I have had 4yr old meat and tasted the same with no freezer burn. If freezer burned then the time decreases substantially. The more you jack with them in the freezer, the more likely you are to poke a hole and get burned.

Comment

Smell test. I’ve dug some stuff out 4 years old and it ate fine.

Comment

Some of y'all gonna be dead by the morning, either that or have worms

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              Some of y'all gonna be dead by the morning, either that or have worms

How’s that? Some sort of sub arctic worm we
                              Don’t know about? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I keep all my freezers at -10 or as low as they go.

If it had worms how would them being frozen longer increase the chance of getting worms?

Comment

Working...
                                X