"Brownwood" vs "Tilden" Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We may be in the market for a new ranch purchase (1031 exchange for our place in Uvalde) and these 2 general areas keep coming up as meeting our criteria which is: 3 hr or less drive (Pflugerville area off toll road), 500 ac or more (more the better but other factors like structures, cover, etc would influence it), obviously good hunting with other game than deer (turkey, quail, dove, etc.) but primarily deer and ideally water like a good tank to go fishing. By Tilden area I think north of Freer is the absolute farthest we would go. Brownwood to Brady is the other area we are looking. I guess Cotulla area could get thrown in as well but we prefer to get away from the illegals if possible but the right place with the right size deer may sway that. Is there much illegal activity in the Tilden area?

I guess this will morph into 2 questions. First, what can you tell me about hunting either or both of these areas and a comparison to the northwest Uvalde area would be a bonus? Second any other areas that meet these criteria we are missing? Up to now it has just been searches on Lands of Texas and plugging in the trip to google maps for drive time. Thanks for the input in advance.

Forgot to add, part of what we are balancing with these 2 areas is oil traffic, etc which is a knock on Tilden area vs size/score for deer being a positive for the area.

Comment

Oil traffic in Tilden is not what it used to be.....yes there is some but it is nothing like it was 10 years ago. I don't know your budget but I assume with 500+ acres, it is pretty healthy.....I do not have any first hand experience with Brady/Brownwood but I can say that we have been extremely happy with Tilden for the last 17 years. To my knowledge we have never had any illegal activity on the place. Good neighbors for the most part. Turkeys are hit and miss. Deer hunting is great. Dry as can be down there right now though. That is more common then not it seems. Water wells can be EXTREMELY expensive to drill in some areas down there, if even possible. I have heard as much as $350,000 for a Carrizo water well. Hit me up if you have any specific questions. Landsoftexas is a great resource.

Comment

JMO, I would buy up towards Brownwood and I am in Real Estate in South Texas. Deer continue to get better up in the Hill Country and it’s nicer country to hang out year round. Oil traffic isnt nearly as bad down this way but it’s getting busier so time will only tell. Good luck in your search, side note place did come on market recent just north of Tilden with good road frontage, 636 acres and it’s around $3300/acre. Does have production and I think at least one collection station.

Comment

Two totally different habitats. I hunt both areas, an am also on a lease NW of Uvalde. Either of the areas ya’ll are looking should be a better hunting experience than where you are coming from. Brownwood will probably be prettier with more elevation change and hardwood bottoms. Antler restrictions went into place many years ago in Brown county, and we continue to see the results. My son shot an 8 pointer this year that scores over 140 off our Brownwood place. Hogs are not nearly as prevalent as they are down south. That is changing for us with more frequent sightings. There are a lot of hogs if you are along the Colorado or one of the bayous. Turkey for us some years is great some years zero. Dove hunting is poor to fair but that is hit or miss depending on the specific area.
          Tilden will have bigger deer, hogs, javelina, probably better dove/quail. South Texas has that special feeling for sure. I have just as much fun hunting either place. Brown county land might b a little cheaper?

Comment

Brownwood buck this past season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd shop both areas and buy the first place y'all can't say NO to.

Comment

If it is primarily for hunting. Tilden area without a doubt, not even close.

I hunted a nice lease for a lot of years out by Brady lake and now on year 6 in the Tilden area. 2 hour farther drive and worth every minute.

JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                  JMO, I would buy up towards Brownwood and I am in Real Estate in South Texas. Deer continue to get better up in the Hill Country and it’s nicer country to hang out year round. Oil traffic isnt nearly as bad down this way but it’s getting busier so time will only tell. Good luck in your search, side note place did come on market recent just north of Tilden with good road frontage, 636 acres and it’s around $3300/acre. Does have production and I think at least one collection station.
                  I think that is one of the couple on landsoftexas I have been eying for that area. It looks like it has good water both surface and wells. I guess there are 2 aspects for oil traffic with one being directly on the place you hunt and 1 being the commute to get there. I think both would effect us but not sure how much. I have talked to some that hunt with direct oil traffic.

Tilden, if we end up looking that direction more seriously I may pm you and get a little more information.

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                  Two totally different habitats. I hunt both areas, an am also on a lease NW of Uvalde. Either of the areas ya’ll are looking should be a better hunting experience than where you are coming from. Brownwood will probably be prettier with more elevation change and hardwood bottoms. Antler restrictions went into place many years ago in Brown county, and we continue to see the results. My son shot an 8 pointer this year that scores over 140 off our Brownwood place. Hogs are not nearly as prevalent as they are down south. That is changing for us with more frequent sightings. There are a lot of hogs if you are along the Colorado or one of the bayous. Turkey for us some years is great some years zero. Dove hunting is poor to fair but that is hit or miss depending on the specific area.
                  Tilden will have bigger deer, hogs, javelina, probably better dove/quail. South Texas has that special feeling for sure. I have just as much fun hunting either place. Brown county land might b a little cheaper?
                  I didn't realize Brown county was antler restricted. That is another factor but not major. Yeah, land is a little cheaper up there but not much. It is really pretty comparable. It does seem like there is more surface water up there than down south. That is a nice 8 point for sure.

Thanks for the other replies, keep them coming.

Comment

McMullen county with river frontage will be loaded with game, Arrowheads are a bonus too.
                    And when river bottom floods floods the high fences come down allowing who knows what kind of exotics to walk through.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                      I'd shop both areas and buy the first place y'all can't say NO to.
                      Likely that will be the plan but want to be as informed as possible.

Comment

Hands down Brownwood. Great people close enough drive to bigger cities if needed. Great food, gorgeous area. Nice Lake. It is the total package and my hope to live there one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          Hands down Brownwood. Great people close enough drive to bigger cities if needed. Great food, gorgeous area. Nice Lake. It is the total package and my hope to live there one day.
                          Except for the deer hunting part. Unless things have really changed recently there's no way I would pick Brownwood over South Texas for quality of deer.

Comment

Brownwood deer hunting is good. But you are gonna top out in the 140-150 range low fence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer hunting in Brown are Mills county is getting better every year as far as bigger bucks. Check my started post for pics of bucks my grandkids have killed. Low fence.

Comment

Working...
                              X