Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understand

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
    There are set compartments. I am sure they had two more pastures available from the drawn parties. They aren't going to sit down, and try to reorganize those two pastures into three, after drawing the first two cards.
    I understand, sure would have been nice if they would have though, or maybe be prepared for such a situation in advance.

I just think they could do better at hunting more people. I don't know for sure but don't our hunting and fishing licenses pay for their salary and to keep the Chap open?

Don't get me wrong its a great opportunity and I appreciate it. My buddy and I drove all the way from Temple to go standby. I am just B------G a little.

I wonder how those guys are doing down there?

Comment

My dad and I were 2 of the 3 picked for standby. We didn’t have any luck but saw some big deer. The first night I had a buck that I estimated to be mid 160s at 120 yards. Only problem was he didn’t have a wide spread. There rule for this hunt was the deer had to have at least a 14” spread. Frustrating but that was there rule. Next two days were slow, only seeing small deer while hunting. On cameras we had some good deer hitting the corn we put out at around 2 in the morning. I had to leave Thursday at noon to get to a Friday wedding but my dad stayed until the last hunt last night. He had a 12 pointer with 3 or 4 kickers that he was after but couldn’t seal the deal. Saw him chasing a doe across the sendero a few times at various distances but couldn’t get a shot off. He did rattle in 7 or 8 different bucks his last hunt. When I left on Thursday there were I think 7 deer killed. Biggest buck was 150 followed by a 139. The guy who shot the 150 said there were 8 bucks chasing a single doe and he shot the biggest buck. After he shot the deer he said a way better 12 pointer came out the brush after the doe as well. Overall I had a great time. Hard hunting, pretty much a full moon all week. The staff was great. Look forward to the opportunity to hunt the Chap again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
        I understand, sure would have been nice if they would have though, or maybe be prepared for such a situation in advance.

I just think they could do better at hunting more people. I don't know for sure but don't our hunting and fishing licenses pay for their salary and to keep the Chap open?

Don't get me wrong its a great opportunity and I appreciate it. My buddy and I drove all the way from Temple to go standby. I am just B------G a little.

I wonder how those guys are doing down there?

They also have a certain number of deer they want off. While they want to get to that number they can’t risk allowing too many hunters in and potentially taking too many deer. That would mess up their deer numbers and would mean less hunts/hunters for the next year

Comment

Yeah....the number of permits dropped substantially it seemed this year I wonder if they over harvested last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i don't think it was an over harvest from last year...but the number of mature bucks from the fawn crop x years prior.

Comment

There isn’t any mature bucks out there. It will be 8-10yrs before there will be anything to shoot there besides doe and spikes. I hope. I body puts in during this time to give the place a chance to recover.

Comment

I for one like to see it the way it is regarding standby's.

I went down for the management hunt when they were going to draw something like 10 cards or 15 people which ever came first. Well due to some cards have 3 names on them they only drew 7 or 8 cards when they hit the number of 15. A LOT of us went home...it's the breaks.

For most people it takes years to draw this hunt. When I draw, I don't want to see an additional 20 people added as a standby and reducing the compartment size and adding to the traffic on the place.

I drew the bow hunt on the Daughtrey two years ago after 9 years of applying. They drew one SB card and sent about 10 people home. They knew the risk, same as when I drew Matagorda island the same year. One card, 5 boats went home.

I might be alone in this but we all know the risk when we make the long drive for a standby.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                  I for one like to see it the way it is regarding standby's.

I went down for the management hunt when they were going to draw something like 10 cards or 15 people which ever came first. Well due to some cards have 3 names on them they only drew 7 or 8 cards when they hit the number of 15. A LOT of us went home...it's the breaks.

For most people it takes years to draw this hunt. When I draw, I don't want to see an additional 20 people added as a standby and reducing the compartment size and adding to the traffic on the place.

I drew the bow hunt on the Daughtrey two years ago after 9 years of applying. They drew one SB card and sent about 10 people home. They knew the risk, same as when I drew Matagorda island the same year. One card, 5 boats went home.

I might be alone in this but we all know the risk when we make the long drive for a standby.
                  You're not alone bud. I have made the drive only to leave at 11:05. many times, mostly at Chap. But I have also been picked a couple times.

Comment

Chap youth hunt

Any north Jay advice?

Comment

Compartment has blind 346 in it

Comment

pm me or text me

Comment

what you got for portable blind? or permanent stand?

Comment

top left hand corner blind has been good in the past

Comment

Originally posted by empty View Post
                              Any north Jay advice?
                              Empty,
                              my son and I are in north Jay on this youth hunt as well. Not much moving this evening.

Comment

We saw 3 deer. 1 shooter but not for long and at about 300 yds, one unknown and a little 6 point. Whick part of North Jay? We have blind 346 in our compartment

Comment

Working...
                                X