No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No electric or motorized. Walk or pedal only. This trip is strenuous. Many people have explored options of getting places faster, walk or pedal Is the option. Also, you will be reported if caught entering from campsite ion north side. You must enter from main road and pedal the 5ish miles to back top corner. Game wardens last year were after people entering from camp site side. I also think they were after an electric bike as well. People who bike or walked the miles in, will report those who don’t follow rules. At least that was rules last year. They will cover at orientation.
    Last edited by JasonS; 08-29-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Bring band aids for your foot and heel blisters. Lots of walking at Laguna. Bring a bottle of New Skin to repair those blisters. Then suck it up and keep on hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
        No electric or motorized. Walk or pedal only. This trip is strenuous. Many people have explored options of getting places faster, walk or pedal Is the option. Also, you will be reported if caught entering from campsite ion north side. You must enter from main road and pedal the 5ish miles to back top corner. Game wardens last year were after people entering from camp site side. I also think they were after an electric bike as well. People who bike or walked the miles in, will report those who don’t follow rules. At least that was rules last year. They will cover at orientation.
        Sounds like I better get my fat butt in shape!

Thank you for the info!

Comment

Padded bike seat!!! I’m not a bike rider, I became one for the trip. My butt was sooo sore, i didnt get gel seat till 2nd day. life was waaaay more bearable
          Last edited by JasonS; 08-29-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Kidd View Post
            I got drawn for 12/7 to 12/11. Anyone gonna walk it in instead of taking a bike? Thinking about doing that to challenge myself a bit.
            I'll combo bike and walk, last time I biked several miles in, then walked from there.

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
            Same dates, I’ll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

A bike definitely gets you in farther. I added a couple gun mounts to my handle bars to hold my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
            rattling antlers? You get picked for the late hunt? I'll be there 12/7 as well
            me too, me too, I can't wait!!

Comment

Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.
              Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
              x2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I'll be there too, look for a grey 2012 crewmax tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                I'll be there too, look for a grey 2012 crewmax tundra

Will do! I’ll be in a listed 2014 grey Silverado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For those that have hunted out there before, where was the parking area? Were you allowed to drive as far as the osprey overlook or will we be parking at the ranger station?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    For those that have hunted out there before, where was the parking area? Were you allowed to drive as far as the osprey overlook or will we be parking at the ranger station?
                    There is a parking lot that you have to park in if you're hunting unit 1. Other wise you are able to park off the side of any road within the refuge as long as you are not on or blocking the road.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post
                      My group got drawn for the hunt between 11/30 through 12/4. We attended the exotic archery hunt last year. We stayed in Harlingen last year in a hotel, this year we are thinking about staying at Adolph Thomae County Park. Has any of y’all stay at the park in the past, if so what are the amenities like? Such as shower and bathroom facilities, rv sites and tent sites. All help is appreciated, will help us to make our decision.
                      The facilities at the park are super nice, the attendant when we were there was super chill, we were running 3 tents in our spot and he was cool with it but ymmv

Comment

I don't know what the county park availability is. We've decided to split the cost of a house close by and will cancel my county park RV spot. if they are full & you need a spot...let me know & we'll coordinate cancelling and you picking it up.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Huntindad. We ended up booking a hotel in Harlingen today. Didn’t want to pull the trailer down and wasn’t looking forward to staying in the tent in the off chance that there were a lot of partiers at the camp grounds that week. It only added about 8 to 10 minutes to our commute to hunt.

Comment

Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.
                            See ya there! Myself and three others will be staying at the campground.

STOKED!

Comment

This will be my first trip back since they decided to had the permitting over to TPW, but we have always stayed that the executive inn. It’s the closest to the refuge, there is a stripes on the way for breakfast tacos, and super affordable. Now it is not the Marriott, but for $300 including tax for 7 days with double beds it’s an works for us. The sheets are clean and the bathroom is clean. Other than that after humping it between 6 & 10 miles a day. Shower dinner and bed is all I am looking for. Already booked mine for Nov 30-Dec 4.

Comment

Hey Manuel,

I just typed you a rather elaborate pm but I couldn’t send it being a nubbin’ buck and all..

Highlights were:

•Bull was killed North of Raymondville
                                •I’ve preffered patterning and sitting on trail versus a stalk
                                •Heavier tackle, I shoot 340/125 grain
                                •Extremely elusive, beyond keen senses!
                                •Shot placement and be ready ALL day

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X