Forensic Gunsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    Were there any bullets in the magazine? If so what do they look like?

Yes there were and he said they just fell out on the ground and looked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What caliber was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
        I watched a .50 cal with excessive headspace do something similar, seems to find the path of least resistance which is not the really thick chamber, so it just blows rearward
        ^ this or the firing pin may have dropped/or was stuck protruded and the round went boom as he was racking the round before it was even completely chambered.

Comment

Looks to me like something of this sort might happen if there was already a round chambered and then another round was attempted to be chambered. The pointy thing on the end of the round might ding the primer of the chambered round and Ka-Boom. I think they may refer to this as operator error.

Comment

Glad he is ok. I lost 45 percent vision and had brass all in my right side of my face and neck.in 74 still have a peace imbedded in my fore head.
            Appears to be metal fatigue. Saw the same thing after my boom and again in Trinidad while in gun smithing school.
            Check to find out if this has happened to any others.
            Then the Best deal is to get a hold of manufactorer and let them check it.
            Take very detailed pics

Comment

Never seen an action blow up like that. Usually it's the barrel that I see people having blow up.

Comment

That ammo box looks suspect. Looks like it has severely faded and been not well taken care of, or stored properly. Wonder is that may have caused something.

Comment

It looks to me like the bolt head is still locked up.

Comment

First shot of the day?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

upon further inspection of the pic, he's very lucky the bolt shroud didn't disfigure the side of his right cheek/face.

other things to look for, obstruction in the barrel such as another bullet, cleaning rod jag, etc... which may have resulted in the pressure

was it a magnum round ? inspect the belt or case head of other cartridges in the ammo box as it could have been a defective piece of brass that was already split at the belt junction

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        It looks to me like the bolt head is still locked up.

That’s correct. Shell is still in the gun

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                          First shot of the day?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep

Comment

Wonder what the outcome would have been if it was pillar bedded in a synthetic stock and an aluminum bedding block were used. May be lucky it was wood.

Comment

As someone who owns a couple of these rifles I’d like to know year of manufacture for the rifle just out of curiosity but as most have said most likely an ammo issue.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I am thinking 308 in a 270, or something along those lines. Or a reload with the wrong powder, like a case full of bullseye. That took a lot of pressure and there are not too many ways to get that much

Comment

Working...
                                X