Forensic Gunsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forensic Gunsmith

Anyone know a Forensic gunsmith? Have a buddy whose rifle blew up when firing a round. He is okay but needs to find someone to take a closer look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Files

Details, we need details!!

Reloads? Factory ammo? Looks like the bolt came apart.. could be bad metallurgy.

Comment

Holy Crap!!!!

Comment

Good Lord! Glad he is OK.

Comment

Amazing he is okay with that kind of damage to the rifle. No help on the forensics, but i'm in for the details.

Comment

looks like one in the mag went off

Comment

Browning in a wsm?

Comment

Browning A-bolt Medallion

Ammo is the first factor I would consider ... factory ammo bought off the shelf or hand loads ?

Could possibly be wrong cartridge loaded and fired, wrong/unsafe powder used in reloads.

Comment

I had a pistol shoot itself once..scared the bejesus out of me. Luckily it went off in my safe. It was when Springfield was having their recalls. The back wall of my safe stopped the bullet. I was in another room when it did it, my parents were there, I was not happy. I'd agree it looks like one in the mag blew

Comment

Originally posted by TXRM1280 View Post
                    Anyone know a Forensic gunsmith? Have a buddy whose rifle blew up when firing a round. He is okay but needs to find someone to take a closer look. [ATTACH]1[/ATTACH]

That will cause fecal evacuation syndrome.

Comment

Glad to hear he didn't get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        Details, we need details!!

Reloads? Factory ammo? Looks like the bolt came apart.. could be bad metallurgy.

Was shooting factory load at a target before going hunting. It wasn’t the normal load he uses which is why he wanted to shoot at a target before hand. Although he says it was the right caliber. He is questioning everything he did but ultimately wants to have it checked over by the right person. Ear drums busted and doc said if they hadn’t he would be deaf. Won’t ever do it again without hearing protection. Here is another pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	24562849

Comment

Looks like one in the mag blew up. If a primer weren't seated properly and it was sticking out a little, would it cause it to go off if it shook around in the magazine.

Reminds me of the lever action 30-30s with pointy bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by TXRM1280 View Post
                            Was shooting factory load at a target before going hunting. It wasn’t the normal load he uses which is why he wanted to shoot at a target before hand. Although he says it was the right caliber. He is questioning everything he did but ultimately wants to have it checked over by the right person. Ear drums busted and doc said if they hadn’t he would be deaf. Won’t ever do it again without hearing protection. Here is another pic.[ATTACH]935721[/ATTACH]

Were there any bullets in the magazine? If so what do they look like?

Comment

I watched a .50 cal with excessive headspace do something similar, seems to find the path of least resistance which is not the really thick chamber, so it just blows rearward

Comment

Working...
                              X