No announcement yet.

Any Grayson or Cooke county reports??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is more of the change to the landscape than anything. New homes going in, widening roads and all the human activities has caused the "old bucks" to change their historic routes. This season has been a rough one for sure. I haven't seen but 5 deer on my place in SW Grayson. I also hunt in SE Grayson and that place is a nursery of young bucks. I've seen two bucks on camera that are 4 years old or older. One is a heck of a buck.
    Personally I think things will get better in December when they need to start focusing on food.

Comment

Hoping for the better in the next few weeks but hope is dim with seeing no mature bucks even on cam. Not sure if it was the flooding this year or the pressure but out of all the 2,000 acres no one has seen a 5 year old deer yet besides a few in early November and this freak spike we have it there they call the unicorn.

Comment

Big mature bucks have been cruising since nov 10.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
          That was 2016. Here we are 2018 and it has gotten worse. My only explanation is more people hunting. Has to be. Land has divided and sold and everybody is hunting their 10 acre "ranch". It has gone from having some phenomenal deer to really not even having any mature bucks to hunt. Its not us pressuring it for sure. 5 sits total since season opened this year. Way less than we ever have.
          I have a buddy up there that got his place in 2012 and had legit monsters on it the first few years and it has tailed off significantly since then. Pressure is the only reason he can come up with.

Comment

I'm hitting the stand on Saturday and Sunday - Anyone see any hard core rut/post rut action?

Comment

Originally posted by blide View Post
              I'm hitting the stand on Saturday and Sunday - Anyone see any hard core rut/post rut action?
              Weather killed it.

Comment

Originally posted by sb09 View Post
                mine are getting closer and close to daylight. Passed the 7 up this morning waiting on his friend. They both followed a doe in to the camera.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
                jason??

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
                  jason??
                  Not I.

Comment

Drew back on a doe at 40 yards and phone fell out of my pocket ��

Comment

Definite rut action in SE Grayson this morning. Had a single doe wonder into my setup and it was like someone flipped a switch! A 2yr old comes running full speed from the South and then a 5yr comes crashing through the thicket. They stand off and then both chase after the doe.

Good times!
                      Last edited by blide; 12-02-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

My wife has seen my target buck several times through out the day in the area, but he never shows when I'm in the stand. I saw him in my back field while I was walking to the stand but it was 5:40am. Been a frustrating season so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Savage Coyote View Post
                          My wife has seen my target buck several times through out the day in the area, but he never shows when I'm in the stand. I saw him in my back field while I was walking to the stand but it was 5:40am. Been a frustrating season so far!

At least you aren’t the only one in the area that seems like they can’t get on the same page with the right buck... [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Savage Coyote View Post
                            This happened to me last year, so I changed my hunting schedule and moved to a different spot. Then setup a chair in a cedar near an area I thought was being utilized and sure enough he popped out right in front of me.

Lesson learned: He had me patterned. The bucks aren't smart they just react quickly and are in it for survival. We're hunting for sport, so comfort and our fixed mindset tends to limit our options.

Comment

Cameras on feeders and hand corn slowed down quite a bit. My 2 cameras on trails weren't working, one had SD card lock other not switched on... The only consistent mature deer that came around hasn't been on camera past 10 days. looked like does broke off from fawns. young bucks still on hand corn. Cattle guy mowed and bailed a lot of the good cover last week. Rain is keeping the bottomland too wet. Upland has a lot of cows on it. All in all, not going well which seem about right.
                              In 2015 I had a bunch of young deer, now only see a few younger deer. more people are hunting in the area, or so it seems, only because of the unbrushed pop ups about 10 yards from roads that I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                                At least you aren’t the only one in the area that seems like they can’t get on the same page with the right buck... [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                This guy's going to die of old age before anyone puts an arrow in him I'm thinking. I've seen him in daylight photos four times in almost four years now; yet my wife has seen him across from our place twice at 10am last week. Sigh.

Also have some hogs that decide to check our place out so I'm on the hunt for them too...

Comment

Working...
                                X