Bbq comp guys and gals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbq comp guys and gals

My kids are all grown up and I want to take my hobby to the road and try a few comps. I've competed in one ibca competition and walked in all categories. I'm thinking of doing about 1 competition a month through the spring and summer. What are some tips on getting started? What type of setups do you use? I will not have a trailer and plan on cooking out of pop up canopy this year. What do you do to streamline the work involved so it's not so overwhelming?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t know where Biscoe, Texas is but it just sounds like food cooks real good out there. I’ll be available as a taster in the Summer if the TBH Open is nearby.

BUMP

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
      I don’t know where Biscoe, Texas is but it just sounds like food cooks real good out there. I’ll be available as a taster in the Summer if the TBH Open is nearby.

BUMP
      Middle of nowhere Texas Panhandle. About 110 miles east of Amarillo. Thanks for the bump and you are welcome anytime if you ever make it this way.
      Do yall allow bad golfers in the TBH open?

Comment

What I do:
        Trailer smoker and UDS
        1 Tote each for Chicken, Brisket/Ribs, Cooks Choice
        Knives, towels, misc in a tote
        Wood
        Stump burner
        Hot box
        Cooler with comp meat and food for supper friday, breakfast saturday and drinks
        2 ez ups
        Cot(I sleep either in my truck or outside)

I do one a month. I will be in Evant in April, if you can make it down I would be happy to show you my set up.

PM me if you have any other questions

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
          What I do:
          Trailer smoker and UDS
          1 Tote each for Chicken, Brisket/Ribs, Cooks Choice
          Knives, towels, misc in a tote
          Wood
          Stump burner
          Hot box
          Cooler with comp meat and food for supper friday, breakfast saturday and drinks
          2 ez ups
          Cot(I sleep either in my truck or outside)

I do one a month. I will be in Evant in April, if you can make it down I would be happy to show you my set up.

PM me if you have any other questions
          Thanks! Do you use disposable cutting boards?

Comment

First step is to get some Cajun Blake seasonings......Awesome stuff as his track record with BBQ competitions prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
              Middle of nowhere Texas Panhandle. About 110 miles east of Amarillo. Thanks for the bump and you are welcome anytime if you ever make it this way.
              Do yall allow bad golfers in the TBH open?

Sure looked closer on that paper map

There is a bad golfers, having fun group at the TBH Opens I have attended. Both of the ones I went to were in Ft. Worth so I hope it goes back there. Good luck with the competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
                First step is to get some Cajun Blake seasonings......Awesome stuff as his track record with BBQ competitions prove it.
                Got it in the pantry. Good stuff!
                Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                Sure looked closer on that paper map

There is a bad golfers, having fun group at the TBH Opens I have attended. Both of the ones I went to were in Ft. Worth so I hope it goes back there. Good luck with the competitions.
                I'll have to keep that in mind. Every time I try to make nanza something comes up and I can't go. I'd really like to put faces with screen names. I guess Chad is the only Tbhr I have met outside of the Texas Panhandle. Cool dude!

Comment

Insulated cabinet smoker would be at the top of my list for competition use. Nothing worse than a brisket stalling in cold rain and running out of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                    Insulated cabinet smoker would be at the top of my list for competition use. Nothing worse than a brisket stalling in cold rain and running out of time.
                    We built one several years ago. Its a beast and holds 300 to 325 all day long on a load of charcoal and wood. My dad and I are in the process of building a cart with tricked out golf car wheels to mount it on and haul it on or in a trailer. Also plan on using my drum and probably another.
                    Here's some pictures. I'm pretty proud of it being my no-welding *** designed and built it on the fly. I'll have a pro build my next pit.

Dont know why tapatalk always turns my pictures sideways. Sorry!

Comment

I have a trailer smoker with a separate grill mounted on the trailer as my chicken cooker. I use coolers for my hot boxes, mainly just for brisket. I use tables with pvc added to bottom so I don’t have to bend over. I use a tote with hot water I boil to clean, and a 5 gal bucket with reg water to rinse off stuff.

The days leading up to comp I make all my brine, seasonings, and sauces. That is one less thing to worry about. I keep a tote full of gloves, utensils, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        I have a trailer smoker with a separate grill mounted on the trailer as my chicken cooker. I use coolers for my hot boxes, mainly just for brisket. I use tables with pvc added to bottom so I don’t have to bend over. I use a tote with hot water I boil to clean, and a 5 gal bucket with reg water to rinse off stuff.

The days leading up to comp I make all my brine, seasonings, and sauces. That is one less thing to worry about. I keep a tote full of gloves, utensils, etc.
                        Do you trim at home? I see several people using a guy who trims for you.

Comment

No, most of the ones I have gone to say no preparation except on bbq cookoff grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                            No, most of the ones I have gone to say no preparation except on bbq cookoff grounds.
                            I gotcha. I saw ibca and kcbs allow for home trimming. Would sure be nice not to have to worry about it. That was a lot of our work at the first competitition we did. Seemed we were up all night trimming and injecting stuff while everyone else was drinking and having a good time.

Have you ever trimmed kcbs chicken thighs? We've been practicing for a cook in Lubbock. That flat out sucks! Lol

Last edited by coldgas; 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I can trim the thighs really quick, but usually only do about 12-15 of them. What really sucks is trimming lollipop chicken legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X