Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
    Isn't everyone who hunts low fence looking for huge native low fence bucks?
    Yes. I've been pondering that question since this thread started.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
      Yes. I've been pondering that question since this thread started.
      Apparently you missed the word GROW in my opening post.
      Last edited by Mexico; 10-22-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        Isn't everyone who hunts low fence looking for huge native low fence bucks?

No if they were they wouldn’t be shouldn’t immature bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mexico PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
            Mexico PM sent
            Returned bubba...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              Yeah, just Google it.
              All they can eat pellets and cottonseed and let them get to 10 or 12 yrs old before ya shoot.
              That's what I got out of it.
              So you are saying all we have to do is buy this protein and cottonseed and put it out and then wait til they are 12 years old? I gotta try this!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Apparently you missed the word GROW in my opening post.
                No, I saw it. Pretty sure that was the implication in Encinal’s post.

But anyway, yes, I am looking to grow HUGE low fence native whitetails.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                  No, I saw it. Pretty sure that was the implication in Encinal’s post.

But anyway, yes, I am looking to grow HUGE low fence native whitetails.
                  Alrighty then.... well good luck

Comment

We have a very large piece of property, that is mostly LF, the bordering pastures do have some Hf. So for us we really can control it in a sense as we don’t need to worry about neighbors shooting deer as the only place that hunts is HF and the rest isn’t hunted.

We maybe shoot 4 trophy’s a year which is nothing on a place our size and do our best to manage it. We feed a lot of protein and cotton seed every year as well as corn and let them get old, like die in the brush old and never shoot trophies really! We regularly see 150s and 160s and see several 170s a year
                    Last edited by 160class; 10-23-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                      We have a very large piece of property, that is mostly LF, the bordering pastures do have some Hf. So for us we really can control it in a sense as we don’t need to worry about neighbors shooting deer as the only place that hunts is HF and the rest isn’t hunted.

We maybe shoot 4 trophy’s a year which is nothing on a place our size and do our best to manage it. We feed a lot of protein and cotton seed every year as well as corn and let them get old, like die in the brush old and never shoot trophies really! We regularly see 150s and 160s and see several 170s a year
                      Sounds like a little piece of heaven! You're a lucky man to have that situation. I'd imagine you guys might have a giant or 2 roaming your brush

Comment

Sounds like a little piece of heaven! You're a lucky man to have that situation. I'd imagine you guys might have a giant or 2 roaming your brush
                        Just a couple of them! Very lucky and enjoy every second of it!

Comment

Age, genetics and groceries. Deer have to have genetics, have to live to be mature and need groceries to get big In the old days before protein it was estimated a Boone and Crockett scoring buck was a one and a million deer. That was before protein now with protein and supplemental feeding a Boone and Crockett deer can be grown in almost every county in the state. Dang I miss the good old days before corn and supplemental feeding

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Age, genetics and groceries. Deer have to have genetics, have to live to be mature and need groceries to get big In the old days before protein it was estimated a Boone and Crockett scoring buck was a one and a million deer. That was before protein now with protein and supplemental feeding a Boone and Crockett deer can be grown in almost every county in the state. Dang I miss the good old days before corn and supplemental feeding
                            Dang trail cameras have ruined it some for me... I remember when opening day was like Christmas morning, you just never knew what was going to show up. Now they seem like such an intricate part of managment it would be hard to go backwards, but I do miss those days..

Comment

Alrighty then.... well good luck
                              Thanks! Had pretty good luck so far.

Comment

Hunted 7000+ acres of prime south TX low fence country for the last 12 years. Shot some giants, passed on more, and culled out over 100x more than the trophies we took. Some years we never even harvested a trophy. An incredible historical ranch with solid genetics that popped the occasional low 170s and several 160s, but for some reason could never get over that hump to the 180s+ even though there were some of those running around nearby ranches. Not sure if this is a common experience among others, but it was always a point of frustration and friction when we would pass a younger/middle aged 150-170, only to have him go downhill the next year or never be seen again. But then again if we saw them all the time, we might not have appreciated the ones we saw/harvested as much...

Comment

Working...
                                X