Octagon Blind ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Octagon Blind ???

I'm thinking about trying to build me an Octagon Bow blind but I'm trying to keep the wood wasting down to a minimum. What would you say the minimum width to keep the blind to comfortably draw without sticking arrow out the window? I'm thinking 6ft across. I'm 5'9" and have a 27.5" draw length if that matters

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
    I'm thinking about trying to build me an Octagon Bow blind but I'm trying to keep the wood wasting down to a minimum. What would you say the minimum width to keep the blind to comfortably draw without sticking arrow out the window? I'm thinking 6ft across. I'm 5'9" and have a 27.5" draw length if that matters
    I built (and still hunt out of) a 5' wide Octagon blind back in 2008. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish it were 6' across but 5' is what I would call bare minimum.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=46581 (See Post 38)

Last edited by JonBoy; 04-30-2019, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I would say 6 feet minimum. I built one and had a huge amount of wasted plywood. It's a great blind, but, if I had it to do all over again, I'd do a hexagon.

Comment

Wrong Post!

Wrong post!

Comment

I have built two octogons. One from steel and one from wood. The steel version was easier, cheaper and way easier to set up. Both are roughly 70 inches from point to point (I cant remember if its 67 or 72"). Im 6' with a 28" draw and I can sit in one corner and draw without my broadhead clearing any of the 3 or 4 windows.

I love both of them. The only down side is when you shoot a .223 SBR from inside even suppressed its loud

I have some detailed plains in PDF I can send via email that reduce a ton of scrap wood. One hexagon and one octagon

Comment

Im in the process of building an octagon blind too. Im in the same boat, as Im seeing how much waste Im going to have. It's giving me serious heartburn!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              I have built two octogons. One from steel and one from wood. The steel version was easier, cheaper and way easier to set up. Both are roughly 70 inches from point to point (I cant remember if its 67 or 72"). Im 6' with a 28" draw and I can sit in one corner and draw without my broadhead clearing any of the 3 or 4 windows.

I love both of them. The only down side is when you shoot a .223 SBR from inside even suppressed its loud

I have some detailed plains in PDF I can send via email that reduce a ton of scrap wood. One hexagon and one octagon
              Sounds great, careybirdwell@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                sent

Comment

Flat to flat is just shy of 6'-0", can't remember the panel size, but I think close to 28"+ outside to outside on panels. Still hunt from it today, sits great easy to kill out of. I'll try and dig up some field photos, it is tucked up under a huge Live Oak then covered in army camo mesh, then cut small shooting holes for each window out of mesh.

Keep us posted on your build.

Rwc.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would recommend playing with this "calculator". https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...ne/polygon.php

Calculate for pentagon, hexagon and octagon, I left out the 7 sided heptagon because of the illegitimate angles, 8 is bad enough. Look at the square footage using 4 foot panels for each side, distance across etc., or draw them out on a concrete surface. In my opinion, the hexagon worked better for me, I got the square footage I felt I needed, and the construction was simple.

Comment

My next build will be the hexagon also

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
                        I would recommend playing with this "calculator". https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...ne/polygon.php

Calculate for pentagon, hexagon and octagon, I left out the 7 sided heptagon because of the illegitimate angles, 8 is bad enough. Look at the square footage using 4 foot panels for each side, distance across etc., or draw them out on a concrete surface. In my opinion, the hexagon worked better for me, I got the square footage I felt I needed, and the construction was simple.
                        Yes sir, that would have helped a tad on waist when I built mine......napkin, pencil and a few beers later I was ripping 2x4’s.....

Rwc

Comment

Since it going to be a bow blind I also would suggest making it six sided. An octagon is a lot more trouble to build and it in my experience it is near impossible to maneuver around to shoot from more than one-to-three windows when deer are in bow range. I like to sit way ack from the windows. Mine is almost 80” deep

Comment

Here is thread and drawings for pentagon. Shooting straight out windows allows for lots of room for the longest of draws. Saves material over hexagon.

If link doesn't work search for Pentagon in DIY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

If you're in the sharing mood I'd love to have detailed plans for a hexagon stand. crittergetter76@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X