No announcement yet.

Pontoon rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The metal acid cleaner sure makes a difference.

I did not see the pic before I posted about the Aluma Brite.

And for some reason I was thinking you "lived" in Grayson county. I see your in Rowlett.

Comment

10 hours today. Went through all wiring and cleaned up and removed old unnecessary left overs. Removed rest of the old deck screws. Took a grinder to structure to remove old glues. Then new adhesive and glued and screwed down new deck. Wish I belt sanded where one sheet meet another...have some telegraphing at seams. I installed new butt seat bases, routed and counter sunk them. The glue isn't sticking very well. I may just trim the floor and tuck under the bases. Polished more on toons but not done. Set the edge trim and will start polishing next.

Set the console up just for visual fun. Need another weekend and should be ready to fish.
      Attached Files

Comment

What glue are you using? I've tried both troweled carpet glue and 3m spray adhesive. I prefer the spray but not dealing with the size you are. I use vise grips and stainless staples to get it all tight.

Comment

Great work, she is coming along nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking good!

DAP's WoodWeld is what Tracker used to send me by the 5 gallon can. It's a contact cement. And I apply it with a brush, not a roller, not spray. I also have to work in small sections at a time. Roll carpet up. Both surfaces get glue. Let it get almost dry but still tacky. Then lay it down. And unroll and coat some more. But once it's down, it ain't coming back up without tearing up the carpet. Cures very quickly. The warmer the day, the faster the cure rate. I also used it when re-carpeting bunk-boards for trailers. It also helps seal the wood.

Comment

Looks great so far!! This is inspiring for me if an opportunity comes along.

Comment

I cannot get the fence rails to clean up enough. I found all new ones for 1200, but cant get same angle on the front section as original. I starter sanding and was going to etching prime and rattle can them. Then this morning I stopped by a powder coat guy in Garland and to my surprise he can sandblast and powder all the parts for $500. I am going this route. He needs a few days. I will post before and after.

Comment

Before pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pontoon boats are a lot of fun for overnight fishing trips! If I lived closer to the lake, and had a bigger place, I'd probably own one of them too.

Comment

Getting close!
                      Attached Files

Comment

it's looking good. you're doing a hell of a job

Comment

Looking good!!!!

Comment

Dang nice rebuild, in for the done deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking sharp!

Comment

Great looking work Spearchunker! I love these DIY threads like these, keep up the good work. I think most people are afraid to take on jobs like this where you can build it better than it can be bought, but once you get rolling it comes together nicely. I need to get to work on my pontoons, they could stand some polishing also. I saw you mentioned using a GPS trolling motor, they are the only way to go. I put a 24v minnkota on our 25 footer and it is amazing. I can use it all day and only use a quarter of battery life.

Comment

Working...
                                X