Big Lake Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    Thanks. That's kind of what I planned. Also, looking at trails crossing roads. I looked at the area on onx and other than the right of way clearings I see no difference. It was clear not much could be gleaned from sat pictures. Topo did help some. Did you see many hogs?
    There are plenty of hogs there. Im not sure i saw a single one out of stand but we pig hunt there in the spring and get on them consistently on foot. It just takes a lot of boot leather because it is foot access only except for draw hunts

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great info y’all. Please, anyone who has been to the area before keep the advice coming. A friend and I were drawn for the first hunt. We are pumped!

Comment

I highly recommend dumping an entire bag of corn. Do not do so in a spot that you would not confidently hunt if corn wasnt there, but it will improve an already good spot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Its been a few years for me. The deer quality is nowhere near what it is at RC. I have always seen a bunch of does when Im out there but like said above....its old growth bottom land with very little habitat change so its hard to key in on a spot. Given a week ahead of time to scout and put out corn it could be a great hunt. The way they used to only give you 3 full days made it very tough to scout and hunt effectively. I think I saw deer every sit and could have killed several with a compound. Ditch crossings and the few thickets seem to be a good strategy for bowhunting there

Comment

Yeah we went a couple weekends ago and the ground was dry and hard and had been for a couple moths. The only sign you could even find were droppings. The sloughs were mostly dried up and accessible from numerous locations and there are like 50 oak trees/acre so this hunt should be pretty interesting to say the least. Its just an endless expanse of flat hardwood bottom. See y'all Friday

Comment

The WMA manager mentioned they could use some rain. Even said an inch or so wouldn't cause the gates to be closed to vehicles. Were the creeks dry as well?

Comment

A few years back, another TBHr and myself were drawn for rifle hunt. Terrain is pretty similar through out wet hardwood bottoms w ditches sloughs and drains. We picked a compartment that had two open fields so we could hunt the funnel joining them. Found a few trails, threw a bag of corn w acorn rage out to 75yards beyond that its hard to see and shot a doe first hunt. Saw a few deer every hunt, my friend missed one but only 2 deer and some pigs taken the whole weekend. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  The WMA manager mentioned they could use some rain. Even said an inch or so wouldn't cause the gates to be closed to vehicles. Were the creeks dry as well?
                  Honestly man, the whole "road" after you get out of the first field to the east of the gate was black gumbo with cracks in it 10" deep. I would imagine that 1" of rain would make it impassable by any vehicle without 4x4 and aggressive tires.

There was water in the largest sloughs but it was stagnant. There were many dry crossings even on the largest sloughs

Comment

Who else is excited?

This is my first hunt using a climber (borrowed). I managed to make it up and down a tree for practice a couple times without killing myself...

Are there many compartments that are accessible with a 4wd truck? Don't have an atv.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      Who else is excited?

This is my first hunt using a climber (borrowed). I managed to make it up and down a tree for practice a couple times without killing myself...

Are there many compartments that are accessible with a 4wd truck? Don't have an atv.
                      It will be the same as last year. There are NO compartments. There will be roughly 30 archery hunter "Free for All" on 4,000 acres (133 acres per hunter) so there is no reason to crowd, if you can see someone's stand you are too close, see someone's truck or you see corn or a camera you are too close. Mud shouldn't be an issue this year and a 2 wheel drive should work for 95% or more of BLB if you stay on the trails. See you at orientation!
                      Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                        It will be the same as last year. There are NO compartments. There will be roughly 30 archery hunter "Free for All" on 4,000 acres (133 acres per hunter) so there is no reason to crowd, if you can see someone's stand you are too close, see someone's truck or you see corn or a camera you are too close. Mud shouldn't be an issue this year and a 2 wheel drive should work for 95% or more of BLB if you stay on the trails. See you at orientation!
                        Yeah they hardly got a sprinkle. 2wd might be iffy crossing some of the sloughs. They put rock in them but I would still be cautious.

Comment

I'm heading that way in about 2 hours. Good luck to all.

Comment

I was drawn for oct 29-31 hunt, elevated stand necessary or pop up ground blind sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckcoufal View Post
                              I was drawn for oct 29-31 hunt, elevated stand necessary or pop up ground blind sufficient?
                              You sure about those dates??

Comment

Originally posted by Buckcoufal View Post
                                You could certainly use a pop up. Me personally, i would only hunt from a tree. To be fair, that os my approach on every place i hunt. Elevated is going to give you better visibility, most of the time, so you can see if deer are moving a little off from you and then you can adjust.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X