A couple handgun kills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
    I started hunting and shooting in general with a TC Contender in 7mm TCU. Usually shot it iron sights in IHMSA competitions. One year I decided to mount a scope to hunt with. Went to the public range near the office (Clear Creek) and started setting up the gun, bags, etc. waiting on a cease fire. Guy shooting next to me had a big magnum loudenboomer. I had already looked through the scope and noticed his target looked like a buckshot patterning board. He snarkily asks "What are you going to do with that little thing?". My response was "Outshoot you!". 20 minutes later I had an extra $20 bill in my pocket. That 10" pistol loved 140 grain ballistic tips. Cloverleafs at 100 yards were the norm when I did my part.

Ha! Great story!

Here's one that happened to me this summer. I went to our local gun range and the guy checking me in was new and apparently had no knowledge that people can shoot longer ranges with handguns. Here's our brief conversation...

Him - "Howdy. What you shooting today"?
    Me - "Handgun".
    Him - "Ok great, the handgun range is out the door to the left".
    Me - "I'm actually going to the rifle range".
    Him - "I thought you said you were shooting a handgun"?
    Me - "Yes sir. Handgun on the rifle range".
    Him - "Ah, so hanging out on the 25 yard range today"?
    Me - "Nope. 100".
    Him - "What the He77 are you shooting, exactly"?
    Me - "Ah you'll get use to it. I'm here all the time".

Comment

Another $20 bill I took from a guy involved 44 magnums on the pistol range. I was shooting my super black hawk, and he had a Desert Eagle. I bet him I could put 6 on the plate faster than he could. Beat him by almost a full second.

Comment

Doe this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. My old boss had the same pistol and let me shoot it once with two each of .460, .454, and .45 LC. Pretty cool to feel the difference in the calibers.

Comment

A whopping 15 minute hunt last night. 60 lb. sow at about 50 yards. Perfect for the pit.

Comment

Love this thread!! Way back when, I used to shoot various Contenders... Got completely out of hunting deer with a gun back in 1995... Killed my first deer with a gun this year since then... This thread makes me want to break out my Contenders again!! My favorite that I still have is a long barreled 7-30 Waters with a 2.5-7 Leupold LER... It is a very good 200+ yard gun that I have taken many deer n hogs with... Worst gun thing I ever did was sold a 5 screw Model 29 that I had... I loved that gun and let my nephew talk me out of it... He's now gone home to be with the Lord and his dad (My BIL) won't let me buy it back! It was a sweet shooter too.

Y'all keep the great pics comin'!!

Comment

You are surgical with that wheel gun Randy. Keep up the good work and updates to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                    I started hunting and shooting in general with a TC Contender in 7mm TCU. Usually shot it iron sights in IHMSA competitions. One year I decided to mount a scope to hunt with. Went to the public range near the office (Clear Creek) and started setting up the gun, bags, etc. waiting on a cease fire. Guy shooting next to me had a big magnum loudenboomer. I had already looked through the scope and noticed his target looked like a buckshot patterning board. He snarkily asks "What are you going to do with that little thing?". My response was "Outshoot you!". 20 minutes later I had an extra $20 bill in my pocket. That 10" pistol loved 140 grain ballistic tips. Cloverleafs at 100 yards were the norm when I did my part.
                    What bullet do you use for hunting? I recently picked up a 357 max that came with a 7mm international barrel. I know the 120 BT didn't expand in the 7mmBR I had.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                      What bullet do you use for hunting? I recently picked up a 357 max that came with a 7mm international barrel. I know the 120 BT didn't expand in the 7mmBR I had.
                      I was using the 140 BT. That was 20+ years ago.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Slick-appreciate the compliment.

Comment

Nice, congrats

Comment

A nice doe last night. 54 yards with the 460.

Comment

That’s some great shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                                A nice doe last night. 54 yards with the 460.

Out of curiosity what model 460 smith are you shooing ?

Comment

Working...
                                X