Cedar Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedar Removal

I have a lot of cedar on my property, most of it is fully matured. When I lived up north I knew of a company that would come in and clear the cedar. The took payment in the form of the lumber. Anybody know of companies that will do that in or around Colorado/Austin County?

Any cedar that isn't big enough for lumber I plan on cutting and hitting with a prescribed burn when it dries out.
    Last edited by yotethumper; 05-10-2019, 12:54 PM.

Good luck! If you find a company like that, let me know! I hunt a lease that is overrun with cedar and we are looking into options as well. None that I have found so far look cheap...

Comment

You are either going to have to bust out the work gloves or the checkbook if you want the cedar to disappear

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        I have a lot of cedar on my property, most of it is fully matured. When I lived up north I knew of a company that would come in and clear the cedar. The took payment in the form of the lumber. Anybody know of companies that will do that in or around Colorado/Austin County?

Any cedar that isn't big enough for lumber I plan on cutting and hitting with a prescribed burn when it dries out.
        This is exactly the situation I’m facing in pretty much the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
          This is exactly the situation I’m facing in pretty much the same area.
          Im 10 minutes South of New Ulm. I'll let you know if I find anything but so far no luck.

Comment

I have a experience with this on our place. The cedar cutters will go into a tree and take out the pieces that they need...so...basically the straight pieces they can sell as fence posts. They will then leave the rest of the tree. They do makes some nice trails but we found they made more of a mess than anything...Good luck

Comment

There is a herbicide that targets cedars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You might check with your local NRCS office. They paid my landowner to clear his cedar 10-12 years ago. There is some re-growth coming back, so he is currently waiting to get approved so we can remove it again. I think you front the cost, and they reimburse you for a designated price per acre. He bought a dozer, pushed the cedar & burned it, and sold the dozer when he was finished.

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
                  I have a experience with this on our place. The cedar cutters will go into a tree and take out the pieces that they need...so...basically the straight pieces they can sell as fence posts. They will then leave the rest of the tree. They do makes some nice trails but we found they made more of a mess than anything...Good luck
                  Same experience here, they really made a huge mess of things leaving a real fire hazard, matter of fact when the owner sold off a piece the fencing company accidentally set fire and burned up the part being sold
                  The buyer was furious and wanted some money knocked off the deal
                  I sat him down and explained how he was really the winner for having the fire remove all that old dead cedar “ his place looks a 1000% better post fire “ so make sure you burn anything gradually or you may have a ugly mess

Comment

Don't have any personal experience with it myself but a family member says he got Texas A&M/ State of Tx to clear cedar on his 400 acres a few years ago (probably about 15). He didn't go into details but it may be worth looking into. He is outside of Gatesville. I think it had something to do with getting rid of invasive species. Maybe talk to the county extension agent to see if they can help. His place is a working farm and that may have something to do with it also.

Comment

If you plan to burn it, just burn it from the start. Eastern red cedar is not a root sprouter, so burning the top will kill the plant. Will have skeletons for a while (years).

ABSOLUTLEY A MUST - Get professional help for prescribed fire! Holler at your TPWD Technical Guidance Biologist.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                        Don't have any personal experience with it myself but a family member says he got Texas A&M/ State of Tx to clear cedar on his 400 acres a few years ago (probably about 15). He didn't go into details but it may be worth looking into. He is outside of Gatesville. I think it had something to do with getting rid of invasive species. Maybe talk to the county extension agent to see if they can help. His place is a working farm and that may have something to do with it also.
                        NRCS/USDA does the same thing, if your application is picked for funding.

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
                          I've hunted two different places that had cedar cutters come in. They take only what they want, they leave limbs, etc. laying everywhere, and they leave stumps that are too high to mow over (and the trees start growing back if you don't do something with the stumps).

Comment

I'm thinking now it would be preferred to bull-doze them ... no stumps left and if was dry enough, you could right ahead and plant the native grasses back ??

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              I'm thinking now it would be preferred to bull-doze them ... no stumps left and if was dry enough, you could right ahead and plant the native grasses back ??
                              The issue with that is what to do with the bulldozed brush? We slowly burn ours but it takes a long time if you want to keep it controlled.

Comment

Working...
                              X