No announcement yet.

Would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would call him and just ask if they Air BNB the place ever or rent it out. Tell him you were looking for somewhere to accommodate X number of people but you need to insist on paying him if he offers up the place. Don't be a mooch. There's already too many.

He may offer a trade. I've done that before. Landscaping or home repairs in exchange for cash to stay somewhere. That might be a good compromise. Insist that you compensate him somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I would ask them to rent it. Other than that, no
      This. If he offers it for free, no problem. If he says he will rent it at a reduced rate, that's ok too. Either way, you are not asking for it even though he offered.

Comment

Think of it this way, you give a friend permission to fish at your place w/ his kids. How would you feel if he showed up w/ a big group of people? I've seen it happen several times, doesn't usually go over well.

Comment

Nope

Comment

I would not do it. If it was just you and your wife maybe but adding other people especially kids increases the risk of something bad happening to the house.

Comment

I own a lake house and tell my friends they can go all the time. Very few have taken me up on it over the years. If I had any doubts, I would not offer it in the first place. How you leave the place after your stay determines if I invite you again. Gives me joy knowing that I can share a place with my friends that my family has enjoyed for so many years.

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                I own a lake house and tell my friends they can go all the time. Very few have taken me up on it over the years. If I had any doubts, I would not offer it in the first place. How you leave the place after your stay determines if I invite you again. Gives me joy knowing that I can share a place with my friends that my family has enjoyed for so many years.
                I understand what your saying and you seem sincere about your offer. But most people only say that to be "nice" and most people that are offered something as such know its words and not a true invite. I hope that makes sense?

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                  I understand what your saying and you seem sincere about your offer. But most people only say that to be "nice" and most people that are offered something as such know its words and not a true invite. I hope that makes sense?
                  I "understand" what you're saying, but don't understand what you're saying. Why would someone offer something if they didn't mean it? Do they feel some obligation to buy your friendship? I'm confused.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    I "understand" what you're saying, but don't understand what you're saying. Why would someone offer something if they didn't mean it? Do they feel some obligation to buy your friendship? I'm confused.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                    Hey you do understand, yes

Comment

one of my life long buddies, hells yes i would ask them. I would be offended if it was in reverse and they did not ask me. My house is truly your house to my good friends. I wont be taken advantage of but if my friend needs something. I will do what I can.

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                        agree 100%

Comment

I would lay it out exactly who all would be there and offer to rent the place from them, wouldn't mention them offering you to stay there for free. If they were sincere on their offer they will probably still let y'all stay there for free but at least you offered to rent it from them and didn't come off like a potential freeloader. If they try to charge you more than you really would like to pay just reply after a couple weeks of discussion that y'all wound up electing to go somewhere else for vacation but thank them for the opportunity anyways.

Edit: And if they do end up letting yall stay there for free, it would only be proper to leave a very nice "thank you" gift for them when they show up next time. Maybe a +$100 bottle of wine or two or some nice bourbon or scotch if thats what they prefer. $500 in nice booze is still wayyyyy cheaper than renting a mountain house for a few days.
                          Last edited by Gclyde28; 03-07-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                            Put me in the "don't ask" group. For your wife and kids? Yes. Extended family? No way, no how.

And I wouldn't even put him on the spot of asking to rent. That puts the onus on him and that's not right.

This is my thought exactly. He may not want to say yes when you ask him,but may anyway because you are friends. I would not put that burden on him.

Comment

Your hesitation is your answer.

If you wouldn't hesitate, then you are very close with them and they are very close to you and would love for you to stay.

That said, call them and let them know you are coming with extended family and would like recommendations on where to stay so that you could visit with them while in town.

Comment

very very rude

Comment

Working...
                                X