No announcement yet.

Gun Safe in Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Houston nothing is safe in your garage. Too much humidity. I keep mine in my closet. Only thing in my walk in closet. Clothes just stack on top. LOL I

I had my guns stolen once. Put out a $2,000 reward. Got them all back. It was a small town and the guy who broke in and took them was related to my cousins wife. He had seen where we kept them. Money makes people turn on their friends quick. Only bummer was they were all rusted, because he threw them in the woods. He panicked when he saw the reward fliers.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      Agree garage is not ideal. Glad to see it working for folks though. Cabinet around it is a great idea, or even a curtain. I punched a hole through mine with a 1/4 drill bit for power. Cut the head off an extension cord, pushed cord thru, then re-wired. 5 years and no problems.
      Wasn't sure about drilling a hole . I thought for sure that was too simple ! I've started to a few times but just wasn't sure . Guess I have a project for this weekend !

Comment

The biggest downside is that when your garage is open, people can see a gun safe and know you have guns. As mentioned, bolt it down so it doesn't walk away. Also, watch for moisture build up. I would get one if the safe dehumidifies for it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W9M57ZK...a-329616777274

Comment

Originally posted by RLHoward View Post
          Wasn't sure about drilling a hole . I thought for sure that was too simple ! I've started to a few times but just wasn't sure . Guess I have a project for this weekend !
          The TBH electricians will be happy to drill this hole for you at a cost of $175.

Comment

The TBH electricians will be happy to drill this hole for you at a cost of $175.
            Let me mess it up first . Then I can pay double to have it done correct !

Comment

They make a piece of cloth that looks like wooden cabinets that has a magnet strip sewn in...stick it on the top & drop it down over the front. Roll it up when you want to get in. I'll get a pic later & post up.

Don't recall who makes it but will drop by the safe shop & see if can get that if anyone interested.

Comment

I laughed and I am not an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                  I laughed and I am not an electrician.
                  Yep! Me, too! For me, the same is true for plumbing, carpentry, automotive, and, ...you name it!

I seem to enjoy re-discovering how valuable professional tradesmen are.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about ammo going bad. I experimented for a while with .22 ammo. That is supposedly the most frail ammo there is. I put 100 rounds in the trunk of my car 2 years ago. 2 months ago I pulled it out and tried some of it. Out of the 40 rounds I fired, there was only 1 FTF and that is common to see with cheap Remington ammo.

I stuck the other 60 rounds back into the trunk of my car and I'll test again in another year.

Comment

Gun Safe in Garage

Yeah but it will be done right and not ummmmmm Southern engineered. [emoji12]

Heck I question what size extension cord you managed to get through a 1/4" hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I couldn't leave mine in the garage. Kids leave the door open way to often to be comfortable with that. Mine's in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybam58 View Post
                          I couldn't leave mine in the garage. Kids leave the door open way to often to be comfortable with that. Mine's in the house.
                          I had this same problem many years ago in a neighborhood that had gotten lots worse since we had moved in. I put my used targets from the range over the inside walls of the garage. Did this for 3 years and never had anything stolen.

Comment

The back and sides of your safe are usually mild steel. It drills easy enough.

Get a plastic snap in bushing to fit your cable through as a protection measure so your cord doesn't get abraded. Drill your hole to match the bushing.

I bought a pass through wiring kit for my safe, but the last couple that I've wired for other folks, I just set a handy box with a receptacle in there.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                              The back and sides of your safe are usually mild steel. It drills easy enough.

Get a plastic snap in bushing to fit your cable through as a protection measure so your cord doesn't get abraded. Drill your hole to match the bushing.

I bought a pass through wiring kit for my safe, but the last couple that I've wired for other folks, I just set a handy box with a receptacle in there.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                              Thanks for all the help !My project for the weekend . Sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread !

Comment

A friend told me they put one of those motion detector cameras on top of their safe. Its one of the ones that connect to wifi and will keep a week worth of video for free on the companies cloud with the purchase of the cameras.

Comment

Working...
                                X