Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    Steven Tisdale is out of Lubbock and a personal friend. He has a Bavarian mountain hound, Yeager I believe and Hoyt his bloodhound. I have seen both work and they are good.
    Yep, I've sent several calls to Steve that were too far south for me, and vice-versa

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
      What? No love.for Hemphill? Regardless, I have no clue. I used to have decent results around T-day but mostly miss the last.few years.

My current unsound and unproven theory for our area is.that the last drought ended in March 2013 and that only the last bred does managed to carry and drop. Those fawns were similarly bred late and so on. Basically, the drought pushed back the estrous cycle. Again, pure speculation but I live on the place and have plenty of time for observation.

Likewise, not seeing.as many broken antlers by T-day as I used to. Then again just beginning to.see.decent numbers of mature bucks.

Even pre-drought, the earliesf I.ever got a.response was the weekend before T-Day. It was a beautiful.morning with temps in the 50s and no wind. Come mid-November, it's worth a try if temps are in the 50s or lower.

Btw, I've had a.few come in to grunts and doe bleats without rattling. And if the buck is not right under me, a snort-wheeze definitely gets their attention and I've never seen one spooked by it. Sometimes they'll come in closer and other times they'll look around for a bit then casually go on about their business.
      Talking to a local guide, he claims that usually there will be a day sometime in middle of Nov, between say the 10-15th, when suddenly the bucks will start responding to horns. He says that from there on out they will see results with rattling into December.

However, like you, he says that generally the temp is the key. As long as the temp is below 50 degrees or so you can get good results, but as the temp rises towards (and above) 60 degrees then normally response falls off pretty quickly.

Comment

Anybody have trail cam pics of prospects for this season? I haven't checked since this summer and will pull cards this weekend as long as it doesn't rain too much. Excited to see what's around, had some good young deer that needed a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
          Anybody have trail cam pics of prospects for this season? I haven't checked since this summer and will pull cards this weekend as long as it doesn't rain too much. Excited to see what's around, had some good young deer that needed a year or two.
          Here's my 2 target bucks. Leaving tomorrow to chase them!
          9pt with stickers
          [IMG]09210865 by Jarrod Stone, on Flickr[/IMG]

10pt with trashy bases
          [IMG]09100046 by Jarrod Stone, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

I haven’t quite figured out if I’m hunting this deer or not. Any guesses on score?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              I haven’t quite figured out if I’m hunting this deer or not. Any guesses on score?
              looks like he might have gotten some frost bite damage on his ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                Talking to a local guide, he claims that usually there will be a day sometime in middle of Nov, between say the 10-15th, when suddenly the bucks will start responding to horns. He says that from there on out they will see results with rattling into December.

However, like you, he says that generally the temp is the key. As long as the temp is below 50 degrees or so you can get good results, but as the temp rises towards (and above) 60 degrees then normally response falls off pretty quickly.
                I'll watch for appropriate weather forecast beginning the first full week of November through Thanksgiving weekend. Weather being overcast, cool, moist air, with light wind can rattle all day, but any morning, first thing rattle, can pull in bucks during that time. Mostly youngsters early on. Older boys by second week. Lots of broken antlers by Thanksgiving.

The later it gets into the day, the closer I gotta get to make them respond, and the more I gotta be aware of having a secure pathway for buck to get to me.

It's more about a good setup than about banging horns. Jethro, as much as you like calling coyotes, you know what I mean. Where I'm hidden but maintain max visibility downwind and already have an idea where I expect them to come from.

One day could be a total zero. The next day they come running over you. I still haven't figured that one out, but overcast days,even drizzle, are definitely better.

Comment

I think you are spot on with those comments.

I know how far I can call a coyote from, some days a long dang ways, other days not too far. But I don't know about rattling a buck. I feel like I need to be fairly close in to one, maybe no further than 500 yards or so. I have no idea if that is correct though. I don't know how far you can rattle a buck from.

Comment

Lots of good bucks showing up on cameras. The whole area is getting rain this week. It's going to be a great season!

Comment

I think you are spot on with those comments.

I know how far I can call a coyote from, some days a long dang ways, other days not too far. But I don't know about rattling a buck. I feel like I need to be fairly close in to one, maybe no further than 500 yards or so. I have no idea if that is correct though. I don't know how far you can rattle a buck from.
                      Other than air temp and cover, I would think wind speed would be the biggest factor affecting calling distance just like coyote calling, at least in my experience.

I should probably add that my situation is.somewhat unique in that I hunt on family property on which I can roam about as I please. I'm not limited to a stand or a smaller area within a leased parcel. Also, the land has caprock on it (83/60 just north of the "Y" as you're approaching Canadian) which offers long calling/shooting (rifle) opportunities.

No running.water on the place, no winter wheat and cover is limited to mesquite, sand plums, skunk brush and broken terrain. Low deer density as compared to a few miles north along the river. Based on photos and driving around, I'd estimate our resident population at less than 2 deer per 100 acres. Buck to doe ratio (in my experience, the biggest factor affecting rattling/calling) is roughly equal depending on what this years fawns end up being.

Also, when rattling I'm usually "running & gunning" covering a lot of ground and limiting my sits to around 20 minutes per location and carrying a rifle in case a monster appears. On a good day, I might get a 25% response rate (1 ibuck response per 4 sets) and those have consistently been bucks 3.5 years or younger. For me, rattling is usually more about scouting and entertainment than getting a buck within bow range.
                      Last edited by Heron; 10-02-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I guess I just assume that wind speed is always going to be a factor with any type of calling.

Some of the biggest deer I have ever had sights on came in to horns. But, it is still a low percentage thing for me.

Very rarely do I hunt over a feeder anymore. In fact I don't even have one running at the moment. Currently I have a large amount of ground I can cover and prefer to hunt old school, walking and glassing with a rifle, maybe sitting up on an overlook. I don't shoot many deer, really more interested in guiding my kids.

Comment

I guess I just assume that wind speed is always going to be a factor with any type of calling.

Some of the biggest deer I have ever had sights on came in to horns. But, it is still a low percentage thing for me.

Very rarely do I hunt over a feeder anymore. In fact I don't even have one running at the moment. Currently I have a large amount of ground I can cover and prefer to hunt old school, walking and glassing with a rifle, maybe sitting up on an overlook. I don't shoot many deer, really more interested in guiding my kids.
                          Once again, you sound like my kind of people.

I took a young man (early 30s) from my church hunting last season for his first deer, since his father died at a relatively young age, and they never made it happen.

He got a deer, and I had the most fun I've had hunting in a LONG time. I walked him through field dressing and quartering. He ate the meat in less than a month and was ready to go get another. His enthusiasm was so much fun!

In spite of my best efforts, my daughters and son aren't into hunting (great kids, though) so I'm hoping for redemption when the grandkids start rolling in.

Comment

Connected with one of my target bucks yesterday evening. Deer moved really good before the front yesterday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck congrats!
                              Crawled into a pop up at about 5:30. Good north wind and temps dropped from right around 90 in Dallas to 59 in the panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                                Great buck congrats!
                                Crawled into a pop up at about 5:30. Good north wind and temps dropped from right around 90 in Dallas to 59 in the panhandle.
                                Gracias, good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X