Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw the buck I would love to shoot last pm. He came in about 5 minutes after shooting light. It was 90 degrees plus with high humidity so nothing moved until dark. I wish I had not been in that hot box from 5-730. 730 till dark was pretty good. At least he enjoyed his free corn meal and will be back. Cooler weather this week should help with what time they are moving.

Comment

Some of y'all know my lease mate Josh from Lubbock Indoor Archery. This is his stepdaughter Crisyln. She's a cutie, and stone cold.

pray for rain

Comment

Forgot to attachClick image for larger version

Name:	9213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	24593210

pray for rain

Comment

Tell her congrats on the buck!

Comment

So, for those of you who rattle over on the eastern side of the panhandle (Childress, Collingsworth, Donley, Hall, Gray, Wheeler) when do you consider prime time for that? Seems like usually by the time I get around to it, I am thinking I should have been rattling a week or two before I actually started, and miss the boat. Curious what others think.

Comment

Anyone ever called a tracking dog in panhandle? Don’t need one just trying to be proactive. I’ve seen Jeff Bonner and Steve Tisdale listed on the tracking dog thread. Any referrals?

Comment

Jeff Bonner came out for friend last year. He can get it done. He is out of Pampa.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
                  Whereabouts in wheeler co?
                  10mi or so west of Shamrock

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                    Forgot to attach[ATTACH]974340[/ATTACH]

pray for rain
                    Congratulations young lady!

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    So, for those of you who rattle over on the eastern side of the panhandle (Childress, Collingsworth, Donley, Hall, Gray, Wheeler) when do you consider prime time for that? Seems like usually by the time I get around to it, I am thinking I should have been rattling a week or two before I actually started, and miss the boat. Curious what others think.
                    Curious a out this one myself.

Comment

Congrats to Crisyln!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        What? No love.for Hemphill? Regardless, I have no clue. I used to have decent results around T-day but mostly miss the last.few years.

My current unsound and unproven theory for our area is.that the last drought ended in March 2013 and that only the last bred does managed to carry and drop. Those fawns were similarly bred late and so on. Basically, the drought pushed back the estrous cycle. Again, pure speculation but I live on the place and have plenty of time for observation.

Likewise, not seeing.as many broken antlers by T-day as I used to. Then again just beginning to.see.decent numbers of mature bucks.

Even pre-drought, the earliesf I.ever got a.response was the weekend before T-Day. It was a beautiful.morning with temps in the 50s and no wind. Come mid-November, it's worth a try if temps are in the 50s or lower.

Btw, I've had a.few come in to grunts and doe bleats without rattling. And if the buck is not right under me, a snort-wheeze definitely gets their attention and I've never seen one spooked by it. Sometimes they'll come in closer and other times they'll look around for a bit then casually go on about their business.

Comment

One more thought, fwiw. Our cover is pretty sparse compared to a lot of deer habitat. Like coyotes, deer have an uncanny ability to pinpoint the location of the sound from quite a distance and I think when a buck comes in he's expecting to see another deer. If he can see 50 yards, he'll hang up at 50, etc.

A decoy might help in some encounters but I've never used one for WT so can't really say. Of course, that's assuming you don't mind shelling out even more money and hassling with a decoy.

I used a Montana collapsible elk decoy several years ago on an elk hunt and pretty quickly abandoned it due to being a pain to set up even without 15-20 mph winds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
                            Jeff Bonner came out for friend last year. He can get it done. He is out of Pampa.
                            I appreciate the kind words.

Since y'all brought it up, anyone curious for more info can feel free to checkout my website.

I'm not sure posting that here is appropriate for the thread, but it does all comes from the great Texas Panhandle. If not appropriate, OP, please remove with my apologies or instruct me as to how. I don't want to do anything to kicked off my favorite thread.

Comment

Steven Tisdale is out of Lubbock and a personal friend. He has a Bavarian mountain hound, Yeager I believe and Hoyt his bloodhound. I have seen both work and they are good.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                                Forgot to attach[ATTACH]974340[/ATTACH]
                                Congrats little lady!
                                Last edited by Top Of Texas; 10-01-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X