Bow suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow suggestions??

Looking to finally shed the old Bear starter bow and get something a bit nicer. Just started to bow hunt again this past year and would love to hear y’all’s input. I’d be ok spending 500-1000 all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
    I’d be ok spending 500-1000 all in.
    I suspect you’re including bow, rest, sight, and peep. Are you accounting for arrows, release, and/or quiver in that price?

I ask because I think it’s very reasonable to spend your 1000 on bow, rest, sight, and peep plus setup alone. I feel like the bow, arrows, and sight would be the priorities in a $1000 budget. The others are pretty important, but could be upgraded over time.

How much bowhunting/archery will you engage in? What animals? What style of hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
      I suspect you’re including bow, rest, sight, and peep. Are you accounting for arrows, release, and/or quiver in that price?

I ask because I think it’s very reasonable to spend your 1000 on bow, rest, sight, and peep plus setup alone. I feel like the bow, arrows, and sight would be the priorities in a $1000 budget. The others are pretty important, but could be upgraded over time.

How much bowhunting/archery will you engage in? What animals? What style of hunting?

I’m including peep, stabilizer, sight, quiver... anything that would be directly attached to the bow haha. I’ve got a release and will mess with arrows/broadheads separately. How much does setting up the bow run me?

I primarily bow hunt at the moment so I’ll be out in the field at least once or twice a week during whitetail season.

Comment

If you are interested in a new bow go to a pro shop and shoot several brands and models and see if any melt your butter. Bows are like shoes- you have to find the one that fits you. I would recommend selecting a top quality, major brand bow.

If you are looking for a used bow I would look at Archery Talk. Lots of time you can get a "last year model" NIB at a great savings. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Based on your post, and budget, don't overlook a Hoyt Torrex package. @$699 on a rigged bow, another $120 for release and arrows.

Comment

Your gonna get responses all over the map. I’ve shot bear bows since around 2007 and have never had an issue. You may look into a higher end bear. I currently shoot the cabelas insurgent hc hybrid cam. Made by bear archery. I do all my own work and set it up how I like.

Comment

I would try to look for a higher end bow that is a few years old. Bow's depreciate tremendously in the first few years. You could easily get a full set up for your budget.

Comment

If you have the capability to set the bow up yourself (you have a press, for starters) it is a lot easier to meet your $1k number, as you can find new last-year-model bows like Elite for less than $500 and then add pre-owned sights etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                  If you have the capability to set the bow up yourself (you have a press, for starters) it is a lot easier to meet your $1k number, as you can find new last-year-model bows like Elite for less than $500 and then add pre-owned sights etc.

^^^^^^
                  This

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                    If you are interested in a new bow go to a pro shop and shoot several brands and models and see if any melt your butter. Bows are like shoes- you have to find the one that fits you. I would recommend selecting a top quality, major brand bow.
                    This^^

Go shoot some different brands, for me it was the PSE BowMadness, I am deadly with that bow. Been shooting the same one for 12 years. Think you can get a new one loaded for around $700-$800

Comment

Which bear bow are you currently shooting? Whats wrong with it?

Comment

I would go to archery talk and find a used. Bow. In your price range if you buy new all it will be is another starter bow

Comment

Don’t forget to cruise the classified section here.

Members post some really nice bows on it that may fall in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                            Don’t forget to cruise the classified section here.

Members post some really nice bows on it that may fall in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Exactly - With your budget, your best bang for your buck is a flagship bow that is 2-3 years old.

I know this one sold already but as an example of what to be looking out for:

Comment

I bought this one from Hardware on here back in October and love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X