X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyperlitejb View Post
    Jason- quick question...

"I like to sit with the wind at my back or crossing me"

Why wind at your back, I thought it would be best for wind to be in your face.
    They're going to come in downwind of the sound. If you have the wind in your face, they'll be coming in behind you.

GREAT post, Jason!

Comment

Great points and information here. One piece of information I would add is that if you do not have a high percentage kill shot, DO NOT shoot at all. What I see up here where I live is that a lot of guys are throwing lead at coyotes at distances that they will rarely be successful in making the shot. They will also shoot at running coyotes 400+ yards, hoping the bullet will connect.
      The only thing you are doing is educating the coyote and it only takes one time doing this for them to get very smart to it.
      Case in point. I was out calling this past weekend and was driving down the dirt road going to my next set when I spotted a coyote about 300 yards out. The very minute I slowed down he started running away and when I came to a complete stop he kicked it into high gear and at that point was probably 600 yards out. I would bet 80% of the people would have lobbed lead at this coyote.
      In this case, you DO NOT want to follow the Old Cowboy Wisdom which says, "Lead in the air, maybe... no lead in the air, no maybe!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        They're going to come in downwind of the sound. If you have the wind in your face, they'll be coming in behind you.

GREAT post, Jason!
        It contradicts Cajun Blakes post though, right?

"1st thing that came to mind before I read Jason's entire post

..... location, location, location = set up down wind !!!

a coyotes nose will give you away EVERYTIME"

Comment

Waiting on my FoxPro to come in now. I hope to shoot a few yotes real soon.

Comment

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Great write-up!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperlitejb View Post
                Jason- quick question...

"I like to sit with the wind at my back or crossing me"

Why wind at your back, I thought it would be best for wind to be in your face.

Get to know the areas you are hunting. You should have a good idea where they will be coming from. If the wind is at my back, the plan is to have them in the crosshairs before they get directly down wind of me....and remember Camoflage? That includes scent as well, prep like you are bowhunting. I try to set up where there is a .000169 chance of them coming in from behind me. But, it's happened. I've been calling and had one come up right beside me...literally could reach out and grab them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                  Texag93, do you not have a lot of bobcats in your area?
                  Not in the immediate area I hunt. I just got permission to hunt some property 30 miles south that has cats but haven't tried for them yet. There time is coming!

Comment

Most of the time predators will circle to your downwind side to come in and investigate, they will be nose the air trying to smell what they hear... thats why you hunt with the wind at your back.. so you see em coming in.

Great write up btw! You single handidly are making me buy a foxpro!

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                      Get to know the areas you are hunting. You should have a good idea where they will be coming from. If the wind is at my back, the plan is to have them in the crosshairs before they get directly down wind of me....and remember Camoflage? That includes scent as well, prep like you are bowhunting. I try to set up where there is a .000169 chance of them coming in from behind me. But, it's happened. I've been calling and had one come up right beside me...literally could reach out and grab them.
                      Gotcha!

Comment

BTW....my Lightforce is mounted to my chair and it is on prior to me started calling and stays on until I've made a kill or I've decided to move to another calling location. I usually run solo, so this system works for me since I will often call for 10 or more straight hours if the animals are moving. If I can talk a partner into coming with me we will also do what we call "rollin'" which is having a person shine the light back and forth covering the front 180 degrees of the truck while the partner slowly drives the truck to the next stand. This has produced countless cats without even blowing a call. I have a two-way radio mounted on my chair and if the person in the chair sees eyes, they hit the "talk" button real quick which alerts the driver (who has the other two-way radio) to stop and kill the engine. The person in the chair will immediately start lip-squeaking while keeping the light on the cat, fox, coyote, etc. It seems like we kill more cats than any other animal while "rollin'"....probably due to them being very curious by nature. We also kill quite a few coons this way, but they are bottom feeders to me. I use both the Foxpro FX-3 (for daytime calling) and the Foxpro Sno-Crow Pro for nighttime calling since it has extra-long battery life and two huge speakers that can help me get that sound way out there on windy nights or when I'm calling wide open country. Also, when I have a partner, the shooter in the chair will have the rifle and will shine the front 180 degrees of the truck and the "shotgunner" will be in the bed of the truck with a Remington SP-10 10 ga. and shines the back 180 degrees of the truck with a hand-held Lightforce. If I'm hunting solo I'll have my rifle rested on the shooting rest and the 10 ga. in the gun holder thats just below the shooting rest on my chair should something come in fast and close.

All that being said, I've laid off of predator hunting quite a bit this year due to the drought and fires. I still call in plenty of coyotes, but it seems like the fox and cat populations are down from recent years. I'm probably going to start trapping more pretty soon with lambing season coming on.

Last edited by predatorsniper; 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by predatorsniper View Post
                          If I can talk a partner into coming with me......
                          You need my number??????????????

Comment

Awesome thread. I've been needing a thread like this.
                            Thanks for sharing all the info.

Comment

What choke and loads are y'all using for the shotguns. I have the worst luck with a shotgun and have sworn them off. I have a stoeger P-350 12 gauge. With the 3 1/2" hevi shot dead coyote and an extra full turkey choke I shot a cat 3 times at 20 yards and still had to finish him with a knife. Shot a coyote at 35 yards and he ran off not even acting like he was wounded. Then the other day I used 3" steel BB's and extra full turkey choke, shot a cat at 25 yards, he jumped in the air then ran, shot him again about 40 yards and we never found him. I patterned the BB out to 50 yards and was sure it would knock down a coyote at that range.

Comment

i was ready to chunk my foxpro after probably 40 sets with no luck...THEN my kids bought me the mojo wobbly thing!!! i usually can make 4 or 5 sets when i get out and the past few times im batting 100%!!! i believe in that decoy. i even had a big female grab it and run off with it but i smoked her. i hunt in thick stuff with a shotgun

Comment

Working...
                                X