No announcement yet.

From Hive to Bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! I would be interested in buying some if you still have some to sell.

Comment

Bee's are a lot more work then people think

Comment

Also interested in some. If not anybody have a recommendation?

I really want the actual honey comb to eat. Best preworkout snack there is.

Comment

This is awesome. Great job.

When I was in high school, our dumb chemistry teacher told us all we had to do to make homemade wine was "throw some fruit juice, a little yeast, and some water in a glass jug and let it be". While technically correct, he left out the part about the CO2 escape valve.

A 1-gallon glass jug exploded in our attic at 3 in the morning and glass shredded through our AC ducts. On top of the fact that people probably heard it 2 miles away, the pungent scent of fermenting apple juice flowed through our entire AC system.

I did not get away with it if anyone is curious.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
            Dilly dilly
            Make that an autumnal mead.

Comment

Awesome. I will def be getting into bee keeping when I get my own little piece of land in the next few years. Nothing better than fresh honey!!

Comment

Awesome!

I have a hippie brother that makes the stuff. Your batch makes his look like prison wine, though. I'd give it a shot.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

We just found out today that my daughter has received a scholarship from the Metro Beekeepers through her FFA program.

Her first class is on Monday.

She’s really excited, and so am I. I’ve been wanting to learn about beekeeping for years, now we get to learn together.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by 4_Fingers View Post
                      Bee's are a lot more work then people think
                      Yes...they...are. We learned that the hard way. Our first two or three years we were having 75% loss rates on hives just making a lot of amateur mistakes. Once we finally got a lot of those mistakes out of the way things are better but with varroa mites, hive beetles, wax moths, pesticides, and a number of diseases just waiting to take a hive down you really have to keep on top of your hives...much more so than Beekeepers had to 30 or 40 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                        Nice! I would be interested in buying some if you still have some to sell.
                        If you're local in San Antonio I'd be happy to sell you some...I'm not a site sponsor and cant sell on here but for anyone interested just PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                          Also interested in some. If not anybody have a recommendation?

I really want the actual honey comb to eat. Best preworkout snack there is.
                          I have a top bar hive in my back yard. They went queen less mid summer and had a bit of a set back in numbers so they didnt produce a harvest able amount of honey this year but typically I pull 8-10 frames of comb honey when I harvest them...yum!

I still have about 4-5 gallons of honey split between 3 different harvests. I have light spring honey, some dark honey dew honey I harvested in early spring and more recent dark fall honey. All delicious and unique.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            I have a hive in my back yard, and just got into beekeeping. 4 full frames of brood/honey/pollen, and I am pretty excited about the spring.

Can you share your mead recipe? or a link?
                            If you have Facebook look up the group ModernMeadMakers...they have a great page with lots "how to" documents and recipes including the Traditional and Yule (aka Christmas) mead recipes I used on these 2 batches. There are tons of folks on that page who have been making award winning meads for years that love to help new folks out with advice.

Last edited by JonBoy; 01-10-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                              We just found out today that my daughter has received a scholarship from the Metro Beekeepers through her FFA program.

Her first class is on Monday.

She’s really excited, and so am I. I’ve been wanting to learn about beekeeping for years, now we get to learn together.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                              Thats awesome!

Hook up with your local beekeeping association. Central Texas Beekeepers has a strong following here but they have similar ones all over Texas including up near you. Talking with seasoned beeks will help you avoid some of the learning curve I learned through school of hard knocks.

Comment

That looks really good. This process is foreign to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X